Weight Loss and Gallbladder Surgery

Bre W.
on 9/9/03 12:30 am
Has anyone heard about having both surgerys done at once?
beccal
on 9/9/03 12:40 am - Near B'Ham, AL
I had open RNY and gall bladder removal at the same time. My surgeon does them together routinely, cuz of gall bladder problems that occur with rapid weight loss. But in my case I did have a couple small stones.
John B.
on 9/10/03 12:55 am
Ditto to the response above. My Surgeon did both procedures at same time. But I had it done via Lap. And you know what....I don't even miss my gallbladder.....whatever it did for me! Best of luck to you.
GeorgineVJ
on 9/10/03 4:54 am - Caribou, ME
My surgeon routinely screens all his patients pre op and on the day of surgery for gallstones. He leaves the gallbladder in if there are no stones - it plays an important part of digestion - yes, you can live without it, but it's better to retain it if you don't have problems. My surgeon, in order to prevent future gallbladder problems in new post ops, also routinely prescribes Actigall for 6 months post-operatively, to prevent the problems that frequently occur in people who are rapidly losing weight. In my local support group, only a few have had to have their gallbladders out post-op, and we believe it's because of the particular measures this doctor takes. All this to say get some opinions on this and do a little research to see what your gallbladder does, you should have a good understanding of this issue so you and your doctor can make an informed decision. This is a fairly important issue to look into and there should never be "routine" removal without consideration of all the factors involved. Good Luck as you research all the issues you are asking about. That is how you make informed decisions that are in your best health interests.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views