what do you do when a family member is against wls???

seaworld
on 8/29/03 10:53 am - mcdonough, ga
Hi Family, well i opened my big mouth today. i told me dad i was getting wls sept. 26th. well at first he was all fot it. ok then 2 hrs later i get a call and he said you need to think about this. i dont think you have given it all try again to loose it, he said try for a month eating no sugar and see how much weight you loose and then you wont need surgery. i am 31 yrs. i have been heavy my whole life, i feel this is a chance for me to finally do something for myself. sis any of you have a family member against wls if so what did touy do?? i am having this wls no matter what. all i need is my husbands support on my side and he is 100%. it just sucks when you have someone against you, but i just cant let it bother me. thanks for your help!!! susie
Anita R.
on 8/29/03 12:27 pm
Susan - I understand your concern and feeling for at first my mother was not too happy regarding the WLS. I told her I understood her concerns, but that I was 39 years old and had tried everything under the sun and that the risk of dying on the table are @ 1%. I was actually in more danger of dye but not having the surgery. I also told her that all of my doctors agreed that this was the best solution for me. I researched the credentials of several doctors in the surrounding areas near Orlando by going to http://myflorida.com - which gives information regarding the doctors medical experience, awards, certifications, and diplomas, how many law suites they have had and how many deaths have happened. Let your Father now you understand his concerns, but that if this is your best solution then this is your decision. Best of luck in your WLS journey!
ROBIN T.
on 9/9/03 12:36 am - FT LAUDERDALE, FL
Hi Susie, On 9/11/03 it will be my one year anniversary. It is sad to say this but my family(mom,dad & brother) have not spoken to me since six months prior to my surgery. I approached them to discuss the surgery and my decision to go ahead with it. They were very difficult, and didn't want to even look at any of the information regarding the whole ordeal. You see, my father is a 66 year old with the body of a 35 year old and my brother is a fitness instructor & trainer. My mother, father & brother all go to the gym at least 2 times a day. They had the idea, Well, just keep your mouth shut and you will lose weight. What do they say, ignorance is bliss!!!! I went ahead with the surgery, I started out at 253.5 lbs. I am now at 153.5. Went from a size 28 to a 10 petite!!!!! It is the best gift you could give yourself. All I can say is that I hope your family isn't like mine and will come around. It is a shame that my family is missing out on my new lifestyle & attitude towards life. I couldn't be happier with myself or with life for that matter. I wish the best of luck to you and remember you are worth it
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views