Anyone have RNY without insurance?

Debra J.
on 8/24/03 4:13 am - Clearwater, FL
I don't have insurance because I don't work. I go to school full-time but there is no insurance offered by my school. It is impossible to get private insurance from any company as I am overweight. Is there any way to get this done without having to be rich? I am 25 soon to be 26 (in a week) and am tired of my weight. I want to have the surgery but am about ready to give up because I can't afford it. Any suggestions?
GeorgineVJ
on 8/24/03 4:52 am - Caribou, ME
Can you find part time work that offers health insurance? You would need to ask the benefit admin if WLS is a written exclusion or not. A lot of temp agencies offer health insurance, could you perform part time temp work and get health insurance? I can't imagine no group health insurance offered by your school. You are most likely too old to be classified as a dependent on your parents insurance policy. Also, most students are classified as poverty uninsured when hospitalized. Hospitals have the means to write off bills for this reason. You might check into medicare coverage - I don't have any idea what their guidelines are but I do know they pay for WLS. You may be able to get your obesity classified as a SS disability depending on how bad off you are. Just a couple suggestions you can look into. I am thankful to have excellent and cooperative health insurance. Otherwise, you will just have to wait until you are through college and have a job with benefits. Lots of people have had to wait - you can get through it. I had to wait until I was 31 after researching it for 7 years. I am going Tuesday for mine. Godo luck!
Melissa P.
on 8/27/03 9:17 am
hi, i haveheardof many people who have gotten the surgery through vocational rehabilitation in the state of florida.you might want to check into that...especially if you feel your weight is going to be OR IS A HINDERANCE TO YOUR WORKING. vocational rehab goal is to help unisured do what it takes to get back to work. look in the phone book under state of florida, and then dept of vocationl rehabilitation. best wishes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views