IVC Filter Experience

GeorgineVJ
on 8/21/03 4:26 am - Caribou, ME
Just in case any of you are having this done - the procedure is not a big deal. You get a sedative. I wasn't knocked out or put to sleep or anything - they said it was a risk that they didn't want to take without an anesthesiologist there to monitor my breathing. So I had my IVC filter put in and although the procedure went well, recovery really sucked. Either the sedative or the painkiller (probably the painkiller, as I have had Versed before with no troubles) they gave me made me violently ill and while I was supposed to be drinking fluids and eating a meal (I started with OJ and chocolate pudding), I was violently puking my guts out instead. THAT was pretty gross. They finally ended up hooking me up to IV fluids and giving me two shots of something to make me not barf anymore (in my IV thankfully, I had enough needle sticks!). Whatever THAT was made me instantly go to sleep for hours. I didn't leave until 7 PM and they were only planning on keeping me until 6:00. So today my back hurts like heck from being in the wrong position all day at the hospital. Also my neck hurts quite a bit from the procedure and my hand hurts from the IV. I'm a mess. I feel much MUCH better right now, though, than I did after the procedure. So it wasn't the walk in the park that I thought it would be. Just wanted to give you all a head up.
Melissa P.
on 8/21/03 6:35 pm
thanks for the info; i am 461 pre-op and really want to have an ivc filter put in before surgery. it is so good to hear of others who have had it done so I know what to expect. thanks so much for sharing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views