Need to vent

Teresa J.
on 8/11/03 12:01 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I went to my doc for a physical last week.I expressed to him my desire to have WLS,and this guy had the nerve to try to talk me out of it.He told me "You're so young,maybe you should take some more time to try something less drastic." He then takes it upon himself to give me a 2 month supply of Meridia and a referral to Weigh****chers,GEE THANKS!!!!I would have never brought up WLS if any of that other crap worked for me in the past.I'm so tempted to drop this dude and find a female doctor,somehow I don't believe that a woman would be as patronizing.Sorry for the long post,I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed right now.Best wishes to all of you,wherever you are in your journey.Take good care.......T
Bre W.
on 8/11/03 1:00 pm
WOW...I would have to ask that doctor what happens when you stop taking the medridia? And as far as weigh****chers go......so you should count points and food journal for the rest of your life...not exactly what I have in mind huh? That doctor should also be told that a medical study showed that of people who have 100 pounds or more to loss.... 0% were able to take the weight off and keep it off with regular diets. Some people are still in the dark about weight loss.
GeorgineVJ
on 8/11/03 8:12 pm - Caribou, ME
Wow. What a crappy doctor for being so condescending. My doctor recommended the same things but she asked me if I would be willing to try them and noted that if I were to go down the path of weight loss surgery that it would look favorable to the insurance company if I had made doctor-supervised weight loss efforts. That and the fact that I had a pretty detailed 21 year weight loss/gain history probably convinced my insurance company that I had made an honest effort. I would consider finding a new PCP - there are lots of PCP's in the JAX area who approve of weight loss surgery, and you can have all your records sent to them. You should be able to find a doctor through this website. And your youth is actually a plus for this surgery - I am young too, only 31, and you can write up a pretty convincing justification for surgery to save the insurance company money they would spend on future health problems due to obesity. I did - and I will share if you want. Just visit my profile and click on my email address and I'll send it to you. Good Luck - I hope you get started on your WLS journey soon. Georgine.
mom2akj
on 8/11/03 10:29 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Teresa- Who is your doctor?? I am in Jacksonville, my pcp is Dr. Michael Day (close to Memorial Hospital) and he was very receptive to my need for this. Even though he was not the dr who actually recommended it, he has been very helpful and supportive. Linda in Jax
tylstenie
on 8/11/03 11:28 pm - clearwater, fl
Bre, Where can we find a copy of that medical study showed that of people who have 100 pounds or more to loss.... 0% were able to take the weight off and keep it off with regular diets. Always good to have documented studies to back up ones case. Thanks
Anita R.
on 8/12/03 1:07 am
Teresa - If you are in a HMO plan - I would call customer service and request for a new primary. You do have a right to decide what solution works or doesn't work for you. Some doctors do tend to have pompous attitudes. I see a young male doctor and he is very supportive, but my older OBGYN has simular views as your doctor.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views