Has anyone had the surgeon with a 39 bmi....

Vilena .
on 7/31/03 5:01 am - Pensacola, FL
Hello everyone.. I want to know if anyone had the surgery with and bmi less then 40. I have a bmi of 38.4. I am take shots for my dietietes. and I am board line high blood pressure. I have lost 2 sister to this dietietes.. and 3 with legs cuts off. I have really scared that it could happen to me. I have started a 1 year supervior weight loss program with my doctor. And I get my blood tested every 3 months.. The number is still in the 350 ranges. I am so scared of getting something cut off or worst yet dieing from dietbiets. I have talk to my pcd about everything.. But I dont think he supports me on having ths suregery. I do believe that when I do quality for this surgeon BCBS Health opt will add something else to the requirements. Anyway can anyone help me with this. I need to have this surgery very bad.... I cant wait the years for supervisor weight loss. I may die before then. You can email me at [email protected] with your suggestion and replys thanks
Anita R.
on 8/1/03 12:48 am
From what I understand it is not necessary for the BMI to be 40 if you have other cir****tances such as Diabetes that are life threatening. You might want to contact your insurance company and mentioned it to your doctor to verify that the surgery might work for you. Best of luck!
GeorgineVJ
on 8/1/03 4:27 am - Caribou, ME
It is true the general guidelines are BMI over 40 for this surgery, but if there are significant co-morbidities and/or severe risks NOT to have the surgery, the guideline states BMI over 35 in the most severe cases. These differ from insurance to insurance but I have noted several people with a BMI under 40 who have had this surgery done. Good Luck in your journey.
Mary E.
on 8/8/03 11:40 pm - Delray Beach, FL
I want to tell you a few things. Please make sure your doctor knows enough about the type of surgery you you want to have. Many of the medical docotrs are not educated in this operation. Get some info for him to read. They still think intestinal bypass when they think of weight loss surgery sometimes. If he still is against you having it switch to someone that isn't against it. This will save your life. I too have diabetes and want to prevent all the other medical problems that I already have at 40 from getting worse. I am scheduled for surgery on Monday the 11th of Agust. I am so excited about getting this over and done with. I want some energy...........I want it all!!! I tried to get UHC PPO to pay for my surgery but my plan had an exclusion and they would not budge. If your plan doesn't have an exclusion you should not have a problem due to co morbidities. If your doctor has records of your weiight from each visit that may even be enough to prove supervised weight loss attempts. Good luck and I sure hope you get approved soon. Best of health to you. My BMI now is 44 and when i started thinking about it I was just 40.6. MAry
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views