Mental Starvation

beckylh88
on 9/17/09 5:57 am - Waller, TX

My husband and I are both looking at getting Lap-Band surgery within the next 6 months or so. 
He and I were having a very deep, in-depth conversation last night about the surgery and the after effects and he brought up a question that I have not seen anything on before....

Mental Starvation.

I am sure there are other people out there who, before surgery, had a problem with portion control.  We both just LOVE to eat and if we could control the AMOUNT that we put in our mouths, then we wouldn't be considering surgery! 
So, he was curious about after surgery, when you are on liquids or even purees - when you eat the few spoonfuls that you are allowed, do you feel full?  Do you get that "Man, I am so full" feeling or are you feeling like you want to eat more?
I guess that is where the mental starvation comes in....  are you actually satisfied with the amount that you are eating or is your body still craving more?  I mean, it is a mental thing with food.  I can eat dinner, but if I know there is something on the shelf that i really want, I will be full and STILL go eat it.  Or I will just graze all evening.

I was just curious if anyone can help me with this because I had never thought about it until he brought it up and now it is really playing on my mind.

Thanks in advance~

Becky    
HW: 278     GW:  165     

Michael Eak
on 9/17/09 7:38 am, edited 9/17/09 7:39 am - Largo, FL
Becky & her other half, this band is just a belt around your stomach, a tool as most call it.
The Gastric Banding IS NOT a Quick Fix situation. You'll need to learn to change your mind too.
You apparently have 6 months to do this but start now. Don't wait till the two weeks before.
The Full Sensation Nerves are located in the top of your stomach. When food, liquids and creamy soup**** those nerves. It takes roughly 20 minutes for those singnals to reach your brain.
You'll be eating slower and chewing more finely. Putting your spoon & forks down on your plate between bites. This take practice. As in drinking. It should be zero calorie beverages. Crystal Lite (Walmart's brand is cheaper and less calories) but best is water. You'll need to learn to stop drinking at least 30-60 minutes before starting to eat. Plus not drinking till an hour after your last bite. And these foods you choose, should be mainly Protein foods. Eggs, cheese, meats, fish, chicken and some beans/legumes. Nothing white. No potatoes, rice, breads, pasta, etc. Cut out ALL Sodas, Liquors, Juices, etc. NOW And if you smoke, stop that too just for surgery.

One good book to have is "Weight Loss Surgeries for Dummies"
Best of prayer for everyone,
Mike
PS: I rec'd my band this past April. This past month I lost 20 pounds by walking, swimming and sticking to what my surgeon has suggested/recommanded.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
beckylh88
on 9/17/09 10:34 am - Waller, TX
Hi Michael -
Thanks for all the info. 
We definately do NOT think of the band as a quick fix.  I know it is a longterm/perm thing. 
I did not know about the nerves in the top of the stomach - that makes sense when I think about it though.

I knew about eating slower, chewing better, and removing some foods from my diet altogether.
I like the idea of making it simple - Nothing White!  That makes it so much easier to put into perspective. 
I think the not drinking when I eat will be a big change, but other than that, I think we will handle the rest ok.  We have prepared for this for some time. 

THanks for all your input.

I am still wondering:  Do you feel full?  Are you battling your mind over wanting more food?  I know that surgery is an emotional ride, so I am trying to dig into the mental side of it now. 

Thanks again.
Becky    

Redhaired
on 9/19/09 12:28 am - Mouseville, FL
Becky-
You should ask this question on the revisions page.  There you will find honest answers and the brutal truth.  Some people do very well with the band and for some people it is a huge mistake.  It is not all rainbows and puppy kisses.  I did not have the band -- but any WLS can fail if you do not get the mental end of it in line and that is particularly true of restrictive only procedures.  With the band there is no gherlin reduction.  Gherlin is the  hormone (enzyme) that makes one feel hunger. 

USAF Wife
on 9/19/09 9:32 am
The band will only work (have satiety after meals) once you actually get restriction. The first couple of months you are full on a small amount of food because of swelling. Once your tummy heals, and you lose restriction, you will be hungry again. I had my band for 8 months before revising to the sleeve (Vertical sleeve gastrectomy). I had a flipped port, and lots of pain.

I lost restriction at 3 months with only 25-27lbs loss. The port couldn't be accessed because it was flipped (even under fluoro fills), I started slowly gaining weight back. Once the pain increased to a 6-8 on a daily basis, I finally sought out a new surgeon and revised to the sleeve. I don't miss the maintenance of the band, the constant wondering what would go down that day, some days food would go down, some days water would come back up. 

I've lost 72lbs in 3.5 pounds with the sleeve, and had immediate restriction. Head hunger is a battle most obese people battle, but I have found that since my revision, my head hunger is almost null and void at this point.

I don't graze, I have no desire to eat a lot of junk. My portions are severely smaller, and I am so grateful to have the band out of my body.

Best Wishes.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Michael Eak
on 9/19/09 10:21 pm - Largo, FL
Why do people try to persuade other to switch to the surgery they received instead of what the questioner has asked advise for?

And everyone is different. I know personally several people who placed the Band in and have never gotten a Fill and have lost tremendously. The flipping of the Port happens when the surgeon rushes and doesn't seat the Port in place as it should be. Or/and the patient has gone beyond the physical activities to quickly after receiving the Gastric Banding and dislodging it.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
zipchick
on 9/25/09 2:26 am

Well opinions are just like bellybuttons...everyone has one!  Everybody thinks their surgery is the best and I guess I am no exception but then again I havent had the experience of other surgeries either.  =)
I had gastric bypass RNY in October '08.  After surgery I just didnt have any hunger...NONE at all.  In fact, eating was a chore and I sometimes forgot to eat.  Horrors!  LOLOL!  I used to think it took a special kinda stupid to forget to eat but here I am!  I dont doubt that there is head hunger with all surgeries unless, of course you have a lobotomy.  I didnt mourn food before surgery (although I did cry at Thanksgiving over pie), I was worried that I would miss food and feel deprived and miss eating in quantities.  Everything has changed so much that I dont miss any of it too much.  Sometimes I do wish I could eat a lot because my mouth isnt finished but my stomache is.  With my surgery I get a full filling high instead of that full filling low.  I do miss that. I crave things and to tell you the truth I eat a small portion of those things.  At a year out, 120 pounds lost and 30 lbs to get to my personal goal; I have to freedom of making that choice.  I also offset my caloric intake thru regular exercise 3 times a week.  You will need to be more careful initially.  Just an observation...I have a lot of friends who have had the Lapband and the Vertical Sleeve and their complaint has been the slower weight loss. but you have to decide whats best for you. Good Luck!
If you would like to see some of my journey I am on youtube.com
look for zipchick!

Enter

beckylh88
on 9/25/09 4:42 am - Waller, TX
Thanks so much for your reply.  That was more of what I was looking for.... I guess maybe I didn't "term" it quite the right way for everyone to understand what I was talking about.

I was more interested in the "mouth isn't finished when your stomach is" phenomenon.   I don't really think I am mourning food and I dont think I will because I am so over food right now that if I could control my hunger, I wouldn't eat at all!!!  But then again, if I could do that, I wouldn't need surgery!!  :O)

I guess we are both worried about having that hungry feeling all the time or never feeling full.  I mean, I don't want to feel stuffed 24/7, but I would like to feel very full after I eat - and not have to over-eat to get that feeling.  I guess I just worry, in general, about satiety. 

I am ok with the slower weight loss with Lap Band for a couple of reasons, and I am completely ready to add the exercise that I can't do now, but wish I could. 

Thanks again - I will definately go look you up on YouTube!
Becky    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views