Getting started

Trudy M.
on 7/14/03 7:52 am - West Palm Beach, Fl
Hello everyone- I am just getting started on this journey- I am currently waiting for referral to the sleep clinic, and I have my psyc and nutritionist appts as well. I have Cigna HMO. Like all of you, I have been on every diet and program you can think of. Cigna wants 2, 26 week medically supervised programs, one with in the last 12 months. My problem is that while I have been under a drs care significantly over the past 2 years as I have seen my health deteriorate, my Dr. has never mentioned the weight as being something I need to do, or the reason why my health is compromised. Maybe because she is overweight herself, but other doctors just don't address it it seems. (My BMI is about 44) Anyway, I intend to provide a 25 year history of weight loss and gain and get everything else in order. Can anyone give me advice about Cigna and how they handle this stupid requirement? Also, does anyone have any comments about Dr. J. Vaughan in Jupiter, Fl? Good luck and god bless all of you on your journeys. Trudy
Linda Ann E.
on 7/15/03 6:24 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Best wishes to you on your journey Trudy, I cant help you with the cigna insurance...or the doc...but i can only wish u the best and offer an ear if u ever need one.... Linda
Vikki L.
on 7/15/03 10:25 am - Clermont, FL
Hi Trudy, I would also like to wish you the best of luck on your journey. As you will probably need it with CIGNA-HMO. I was kinda in the same boat as you with the supervised diets, although I did have a health club membership and had even had trainer supervision in the last 12 months and also was currently 16 weeks into my other 26 week requirement when my surgeon submitted the paperwork. Yes, you guessed it, CIGNA-HMO denied me! This all happened just a couple weeks ago. So if I had any advice for ya it would be to get on a supervised diet program right away, you can do this through your PCP and let CIGNA pay for it. They require monthly weigh ins and doctor notes to confirm it all.. I really hate to rain on anyone's parade about getting approval. I just wish someone would have told ME sooner. I was devastated when I got the denial.. Everyone was so sure that I would be approved.. I can list the requirements that I received from my denial letter if it would be any help to you. They also want you to see a nutritionist. Just send me an email and I'll post it. Currently, after pulling myself outa my hole. I'm appealing their decision with an attorney.. I hope this helps. Email me at [email protected] if you want additional info.. God Bless you on your journey. Vikki Lou
faybay
on 7/15/03 7:23 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
I agree that you need to get started right away with a doc supervised diet whether your ins asks or not, they seem to change the rules as you go along so just to be safe get started. Doc Vaughans office can probably tell you more infor on your insurance. I first investigated him for my surgery but he did not acept my ins at the time. I am very pleased with US Bariatrics. It is a very large practice and very comprehensive life time support system. But the best part is the hospital. There is someone from Drs Marema and Perez's office as well as the docs themselves always checking on you in the hospital. So the nursing staff is kept on their toes. We are fortunate here in Florida, just about all of the surgeons are good and there are many choices. Sometimes getting approved depends on the efficiency and knowledge of the surgeons insurance department.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views