Trouble with Cigna

Marty C.
on 6/30/03 1:45 am - Delray Beach, Fl
I've been turned down two times for the same reason. I was not on a supervised diet for the last 26 weeks. Of course, the fact that I'm 62 and have been on every fad and crash diet in the world does not matter to this insurance carrier. What they are concerned with is the last six months. What do I do now?
beccal
on 6/30/03 2:52 am - Near B'Ham, AL
Hi Marty.... I use cigna also, so I had to turn in the supervised diets as well. I have read about people getting denied, in your same situation. One woman said she immediately went to her PCP and started a supervised diet. She sent that info to Cigna and then was approved. I hope evrything works out for you and God bless your journey.
shbama
on 6/30/03 10:53 am - Brandon, Fl
Marty- I know just how you feel. I was denied last week by Cigna PPO for the same reason. I have my appeal letter ready to mail out tomorrow. You have to appeal. You cannot let them get away with this. I thought Cigna was suppose to be easy to get approval. I am finding this is not true. I wish you luck. Fight them.
J F.
on 7/6/03 12:12 am - Palm Coast, FL
Marty, Have faith!!! Don't give up... I was also denied by Cigna HMO over a year ago when I started my journey. I appealed in writing. I wrote a personal letter about my life as a fat person, stating especially the downside of being morbidly obese, family medical history, my co-mobities, mentioning all the diets and exercise machines I had used. I also sent letters from all the different doctors I dealt with and lo and behold I was approved. I just moved to Florida recently and have left Georgia and my support group so I have to get back into one here. I had my surgery on Aug. 9th 2002 and as of the end of June 2003 I had lost 154lbs.; I feel great... The insurance companies want you to be fraustrated, but please don't give up. I know that Cigna if they deny you again after the first written appeal, then you have the chance of going head to head with a panel in a face to face meeting. In my letter I didn't try to sugar coat anything, I wanted them to know how I felt about my situation. I was never a compulsive eater so I couldn't relate to others that are/were obese because of that. I was born fat and remained that way thru the years. As an adult I never ate correctly and with lack of exercise in the formula...hence morbid obesity. Discrimination against fat people is silent unless you walk in those shoes. If we had cancer from smoking they would jump all kinda hoops to hospitalize and operate if need be. Why is it different for us? OK...just thought I'd share with you that the possibility is there for a positive ending...don't give into their anti-whatever. And in all things PRAY and believe for a positive outcome. Joy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views