Novus Center Jacksonville

Lemon_Drop
on 9/6/09 10:23 pm
I'm planning on having WLS and the Novus group would my pre and post-op support center.  Before I sign on the dotted line, can anyone tell me about their experience with Novus?  I hope to take advantage of the dietician visits, psychological visits, cooking classes and support group meetings.

Does anyone here have insight about Novus' post op support program?
Redhaired
on 9/7/09 12:16 am - Mouseville, FL
Is this one of those places where one pays an upfront fee and it includes services for life or over a long period of time?

Lemon_Drop
on 9/7/09 12:28 am
 Yes.  It's my understanding that the surgeons require patients to go through this group.  So, if you want one of their doctors, you have to use Novus.  But, you do get all these services for as long as you need/want.  The up front cost is fairly high, but for all that they offer - it sounds like it should be worthwhile.  What do you think?
Redhaired
on 9/7/09 1:15 am - Mouseville, FL
I don't know anything about this group.  They may be a fine reputable organization that has been around forever and will continue to be around for the next fifty years.

I will however caution you to get every promise they make for services in writing and find out about any refund policy they may have. And, do they have some way of guaranteeing they will be providing services a few years from now, ie who is backing up the contract.   A few years back a whole lot of people got burned really bad with a similar set-up in the Tampa area.  I think that was the Wish Center.  They just upped and closed their doors and left a lot of people in the lurch.  This was after people had paid thousands of dollars for "lifetime" services.  I think if you check into these organizations in some cases (but not all)  they are formed because the surgeons cannot collect any more than the insurance will pay and in the case of network docs they cannot charge the patient the difference.  So they start these "programs" that charge huge fees -- that in many cases are not reimbursable by insurance.  While if you went to individual providers (network) for these services at least some of the services would be reimbursable.  I just get really nervous when paying up front for services to be delivered in the future.  Now if the group is hospital based and has the hospital to back up the contract that might be a different thing.

Red

sandyfeets
on 9/7/09 2:22 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
 I am a patient of the Novus Center.  They used to be LAPWLSC.  They are the pre-post care portion of Steve Webb, John DePeri, and Charles Welchel (all three surgeons.)
I have NOTHING but good things to say about them.
I started using them in June of 2004, had my surgery in Dec 2005 and still use their resources 4 years later.  
The have various post-op support groups based on which type of surgery you had.
They offer cooking classes and pre-packed meals.  
I visited a post-op group while I was a pre-op.  I wanted to get a feel for things.
I liked what I saw... and experienced.  MANY patients came up to me after the meeting and offered suggestions and support.
They have a clothing closet that is fabulous---I took and donated items. 

Lemon_Drop
on 9/7/09 7:12 am
Thank you both for your responses.  I was hoping to get pros/cons of a group like Novus and I feel I've gotten that and more.  I now have better questions to ask before a commit to using Novus and I have a referral from a long time patient.  

Thank you so much.  I feel much better about making my decision.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views