Initial Consultation with Dr. Overcash in Ocala - 6/16/2003

ANITA R.
on 6/14/03 11:31 am - Oviedo, FL
Well - I can't believe that I once again have an appointment for Dr. Overcash. I have not gotten a call from their office to reschedule, so I'll all set for Monday! I have already taken the steps as advised on Dr. Overcash's website of setting appointment and writing letters to various doctors. I've got my sleep study lined up for Wed, 6/18/03 and then the only thing to follow will be the psych evaluation and approval from insurance. Anyone out there with Dr. O as their doctor and what can I expect? I have thought about the lap-band, but recently read on Dr. O that the risk were not much less than other procedures and weight loss with less than 5 - 10% with the lap-band, so I am considering open Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass now from all I have read. Does anyone have more information of best solution, results, and any previous patients of Dr. O. Thanks!
Bernie D.
on 6/14/03 1:55 pm - Davenport, FL
Hi Anita, I went to see Dr. O first and have some mixed feelings about him and his office, Since my visit i have had several people tell me some distrubing news. I waited and seen another surgeon Dr. Jawad, they are much more together and made my husband and myself feel so much more secure. IF you want more info please email me. [email protected]
GeorgineVJ
on 6/14/03 6:46 pm - Caribou, ME
Regarding the best solution - that is something that is specific to your body and is between you and your doctor. There are pros and cons to both major procedures. My surgeon here in Largo doesn't perform the lap-band or lap-RNY. He said the results for the band aren't impressive (major generalization here, of course it has worked for some people)... and a large percentage of the time a lap RNY has to be converted to open, so you might as well do open anyway. Recovery is the same time. I don't know about risk of herniation stats between lap and open. The major difference between RNY and BPD-DS (biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch) is with RNY you have a tinier pouch (2 oz) and you become sugar sensitive. This surgery is better for people who have portion control and sugar consumption issues, because it forces behavior modification. BPD-DS patients can eat more normally (larger pouch 7-8 oz, and no sugar sensitivity) - but there are more severe nutritional consequences (more intestinal plumbing changes), and sometimes there is a tendency to have the runs for the rest of your life. Both surgeries require behavior modification, the RNY is just a little more extreme. Most insurance companies don't readily cover the BPD/DS procedure yet. I chose RNY and hope my surgeon concurs with me because I think it will be the most appropriate procedure for me, and I am mentally prepared for the changes FOR LIFE. I hope this info helps you - visit www.drhaicken.com for more technical info - he has a lot of good resources on his website, and good luck!
MD
on 6/17/03 3:23 pm
Bernie - I couldn't agree with you more... I also chose Dr. Jawad and HIGHLY recommend him. I'm also somewhat disturbed by some of Dr. Overcash's work, as I've known a couple of his patients that have both had complications. Dr. Jawad is much more together and I also know some of his patients, he has a GREAT track record and I think it would be in your best interest to atleast go through the consultation process with him. It wouldn't stop you from choosing Dr. Overcash, but second opinions are always a good idea. Good luck to you in your journey. I wish you much success!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views