38 Minute Open Gastric Bypass Surgery

Kassandra B.
on 6/13/03 6:08 am - Lutz, FL
I not too long ago had my Gastric Bypass surgery done by Dr. Wm. Todd Overcash of Ocala, FL and it only took him from start to fininsh 38 minutes. Everything seems to be going fine, however I am concerned that I may have problems later on with the surgery because it was done so fast. Is there anyone else out there that has had surgery done by Dr. Overcash and if so what was your experience? I didn't find his after care with diets and nutrition to be helpful at all. I had to go out on my own and find a nutritionist that was experienced with post-op Gastric bypass patients to make sure I was following the right diet, etc. Any information you can share would be great.
Brigid M.
on 6/13/03 8:01 am - Gainesville, FL
I just did a search, for another reason, and came up with several links to the shorter bypass surgery. If you go to www.dogpile.com and type "Gastric Bypass Surgery" you will get a bunch of links to articles and information.
Lisa H.
on 6/18/03 4:34 am - Umatilla, Fl
Hi Kassandra, I had my surgery on 4/8 with Dr. Overcash. Like you we were amazed and a little shocked with how long it took, but everything has gone well. I had one complication where my small intestine narrowed and was not letting food pass out of my stomach. I'm the type that will wait until I'm almost dead to have anything checked out. I threw up off and on for 15 days before I finally called the Dr. So by the time I got to the hospital I was severely dehydrated. I spent 5 days in the hospital being re-hydrated when I could have just gotten the simple procedure that re-dialates my small intestine. After the procedure I have been able to eat almost anything I want. Dr. Overcash has been great. I too found that he doesn't give very much detail about diet and stuff but I'm coming to realize why. Everyone I talk to has a different experience. Each person handles food differently. Dr. Overcash has compiled basic eating instructions in the booklet we recieved in the beginning, but it's really up to you to work yourself into your own eating program according to what feels right to your body. Only you know your body. If you follow the basic rules in the book you will know whats right for you. He told me the end result will be for me to eventually eat any and everything my husband eats. Just take your time (in every way) try new things and listen to your body. Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views