Wondering about ventral hernias

Libby C.
on 6/11/03 3:42 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi out there. I am 3 and 1/2 months post op. Dr Jawad in Ocala did my surgery, and unfortunately for him and me, adhesions from surgery 20 years ago complicated the lap procedure, pulled some pinholes in my small intestine and he had to perform open surgery to fix those holes. I did get the peritonitis infection and had lung collapse problems but after 3 weeks at Munroe Regional Medical Center went home 3/18. My recovery has been pretty good, no vomiting, no pain etc., other than getting tired easily. I'm back at work, however, my stomach area where the abdominal incision has stayed pretty swollen. After a CT scan last week, I'm told I have a ventral hernia. I look like I am 5 months pregnant! After losing over 60 pounds, I'd like to feel good about my success, but with this hernia, I probably won't until after I have repair surgery. My PCP says I should wait a few months and wear a binder or one piece foundation garment to provide support until then. Have any of you experienced this kind of problem? If you did have surgery here in Jacksonville, who was the surgeon? Any recommendations? If you had abdominal surgery from complications, how long did it take you to bounce back to full strength? Thanks for any info.
Bill R.
on 6/12/03 3:14 pm - Dade City, FL
Libby, I am not sure what a "ventral" hernia is but I have had problems with hernias. I had a small incisional hernia and had it repaired along with a tummy tuck a couple of years ago and it got infected and laid me up for quite a while. I now have a small hernia and a large "BEER BELLY" looking stomach. I am 5 1/2 years RNY post op and down nearly 200 pounds but I am not happy with this belly. I am not sure if it is a ventral hernia or not but am very reluctant to have another surgery after the bad time I had with the last one. This in no way would stop me from doing the WLS again but it is a pain in the neck. I wish you luck. Bill Rinaldo
Lauren K.
on 6/13/03 5:11 am - North Bay Village, FL
In 2001 I had ventral hernia surgery 4 times due to infection and incisions that wouldn't heal properly. I sailed through Lap Gastric Bypass surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Fl on April 7, 2003. However last Saturday night I had terrible pains which led me to the emergency room at 11:30PM. Spent the night and saw my doctor on Tuesday. I was infromed that because of hundreds of lesions from the prior surgeries this would happen to me on occasion for the rest of my life. Even after I have them repaired in another year or so. I am instructed to come to the emergency room each time and they will take care of me. Well, this is news to me. I am a travel agent and what if I am on safari in the jungles of Africa and have an attack? Well, I am ever optimistic, maybe it won't happen often or even again. By the way, binders are useless and uncomfortable. Don't bother. My email is [email protected] if you want to ask any questions.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views