Pensacola, FL: Want to help start an independent Bariatric Surgery Group?

whyweight88
on 9/2/09 6:49 pm
If you'd like to meet others locally who have had, will have, or are considering weight loss surgery, let's start gathering and supporting each other!

My main goal is to find other WLS patients (and those interested in WLS) to share my experiences and feelings with--to become friends with others who are going through the same things that are unique to those who have undergone bariatric surgery.

I am a patient of Dr. Jeffrey Lord's, and will be having my laparascopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery at Sacred Heart Hospital on October 22, 2009. I have yet to get together with anyone who has had/will have the surgery and really want to get to know others who will be going through similar things. After all, it's no secret that this surgery is a BIG deal, and I am reaching out for all the support I can get! So please, if you are also seeking to connect with others on the subject of WLS, give this group a try and hopefully we can become great friends to call on through the good and the bad.

Some of my ideas include:

- Walk & Talk:
Let's enjoy the scenery (pending good weather!), whether it be at a park or the beach, or anywhere else that is safe and comfortable to have a stroll and chat.

- Round Table:
Bring your favorite recipes and new discoveries to share. Everyone reacts differently to their surgery, so this is a great way to find out what's working for others and what you may end up liking yourself!

- Loser's Bench! Weigh-In:
Let's weigh in on the scale, tangle ourselves in tape measures, and congratulate each other on our hard work. There's no need for competition--we're all losers now!

I would also like to collaborate other events like movies, shopping, and possibly trips (hopefully!). I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you and enjoying the journey together!

"If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"

jonelle32514
on 9/5/09 3:53 am - Pensacola, FL
Sacred Heart Hospital and Baptist Hospital both have support group meetings.  Sometimes I attend both, even though I had surgery at Baptist.  Your ideas sound good. If you go to the meetings at both hospitals (they are on different days) you can find others who have had or are getting ready for surgery. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

Nora73
on 11/10/09 2:27 pm - Pensacola, FL
Jonelle,

Can you tell me when Sacred Heart meets? I would love to start attending there group!

Baptist is a bit out of my way from where I live now...

Nora
HW 372  SW 316 CW 190 7/21/11

jonelle32514
on 11/10/09 10:25 pm - Pensacola, FL
Sacred Heart meets the 1st Tuesday of every month at 6pm. Its in the Greenhut auditorium. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

Eme 2009
on 11/11/09 5:42 am - FL
Are there ever people who attend these meetings who did not have their surgery from Nye, Friedman or Lord?  i.e....out of state or out of the country?

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views