Medical Emergencies

Sharon H.
on 6/2/03 3:30 am - Jacksonville, Fl
I am re-posting Christeena's Message about Dana. It is so important that we stand up for ourselves when it comes to Medical Issues. If you ever find yourself in a Medical Emergeny, make sure they know you have had WLS and what that really means (how your insides have been rearranged) and that they need to do more test on you than the normal person. 06/01 10:43 AM This ia an update on Dana, this is to let her friends at Obesity Help know that Dana passed away on Thursday nite 5/29/03. Dana was doing well. She became sick on Wednesday evening and was rushed by rescue to the emergency room in Jacksonville. She suffered severe abdominal pain, vomiting. She was discharged with no resolution of symptoms and told she had gas. She died at home Thursday evening of a twisted bowel with peritonitis. If Dana could tell any of us anything now I think she would tell us all to be vigilant and in control of our care. To be insistant that they find out what is wrong and not be satisfied until they do. I will miss Dana immensely as she was a dear friend and had helped me with my wls journey. -- Christeena Mencner
judy R.
on 6/2/03 4:13 am - spring hill, fl
Hi my name is Judy and I am new to this web page I have my consult with Dr. Overcash for tonite so I will ask questions there. However, this Dana tragedy has me scared I was feeling pretty postitive up till now my prayers go to her family I was wondering how far post op was she and is this a common problem I am so sorry for everyones loss judy
Sharon H.
on 6/2/03 7:29 am - Jacksonville, Fl
She was about 1 1/2 years out. She was one of Dr. Overcash's patients....I am not sure if anyone called to tell him. This can happen to people who have not had surgery. But with any intestinal surgery, you have a greater risk.
Janine M.
on 6/2/03 1:05 pm - Brooksville, FL
Hello, I work in the medical field. It horrifies me to hear a story like Dana's. The basic flat and upright Abdomen x-ray should have shown her problem. Basic blood work would have put a red flag of infection(peritontis). Your white blood count goes high with peritontis. This is a real tragety that any emergency room in these modern times, would have sent this sick girl home to die. It real makes me sick to even think she got such poor medical advice and care. I take CT/ X-ray call at the hospitals in my area. They call me out for EVERY Abdomen pain with a elavated lab, that comes in the Emergency room to do an CT Abdomen and Pelvis. This has been the protcol call for years in Florida. I wish I could have been there for you Dana............ Janine Menchaca R.T.(R)(CT)(MR)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views