feeling desperate and hopeless

Tricia B.
on 5/26/03 4:34 am - Tampa, FL
Well, I came to this site (not the message board) about a year ago, strongly contemplating the surgery. This year I have gained another 20 lbs and am thinking that I have truly exhausted all of my other options. I want to be mobile again! I want to walk without my back hurting. I want to be able to clean my house! My question is this: most people seem to be getting the gastric bypass. I don't see hardly anyone in the US getting the lap-band surgery. It seems that the lap band surgery carries much less risk. It also, though, looks like the weight loss is slower and not as complete. Does anyone have thoughts on this subject? Had you looked into both before choosing? I am mainly afraid of the pain of the gastric bypass and the inability to eat certain things (I love coffee). And the mortality rate is much higher with the bypass than the lap-band. Please respond with any thoughts. Tricia
Bonnie
on 5/26/03 2:39 pm - Leesburg, FL
I've heard my surgeon say that the lap band is not as good when you have over 100 lbs to lose because it takes more discipline and the weight loss is slower. I never considered it for that reason... if I had that kind of discipline, I wouldn't be in this position. I am scheduled for my surgery in late July and I'm prepared for whatever pain I have... the pain of the surgery will be temporary.. unlike a lifetime of the pain of obesity whether it be physical or emotional pain. I feel the same way about not eating things I love. Since I'm not a coffee drinker, I don't know if it's a no-no or not. Although I've been weaning myself off them for a couple of months, I love diet cola and carbonated drinks are a no-no for sure. The sacrifices will definitely be worth it.
Charlene W.
on 5/27/03 2:09 am - Melbourne, FL
Bonnie, I too started my journey looking into the lapband surgery. I talked to 3 different doctors and they all recommended the RNY even though I barely had 100lbs to lose. The lapband procedure is a much slower weight loss. Also, insurance does not cover having to go in for fills which can cost $100.00 or more each time. What one doctor told me was....if you are being cut open anyway then go for the RNY, in 6 months you will be at goal and it will be all over for you. So that is what I went with. Just my 2 cents worth. Charlene
ANITA R.
on 5/27/03 6:27 am - Oviedo, FL
Tricia - I am considering the lap-belt mainly because it is reversable and less risky. I just read a note from Dr. Overcash (Ocala) today that he :lap bands have relatively the same risk as a rny, and far less benefit. 90% of rny lose 75% of weight and only 10% of lap bands lose 75% of excess weight; therefore, if BMI is over 45 you have 50% chance of remaining morbidly obese, the band has a limited guarantee,etc." See his site - very informative: http://www.floridabariatriccenter.com Do NOT give up on yourself - I know what you mean I was down 40 lbs last year and gained them back this year...it is time for me to get control of my life and be happy and healthy. My Mom is not supportive of the surgery - told her I am unhealth now and closer to death than I would be if I had the surgery.
jrotz0305
on 5/27/03 9:56 pm - Tavares, FL
Tricia, I know how you feel. Today is my 1 year anniversary. The surgery is well worth it. I have lost over 100 pounds. I weigh 186/187 pounds. I started at 292. I had the gastric by pass and am happy that I did. I still drink a bunch of coffee each day. I have had NO complications. Please feel free to call or email me if you need someone to talk to.
gail01
on 5/28/03 2:11 am - Lakeland, Fl
RNY on 08/19/89
Good luck. the reason most people choose RNY is because it is most successful , If you are going thru all this , why waste your effort to keep it off. SO many people are converting from the other operations to RNy after they fail. You must take vitamins and iron rest of your life.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views