sleeve vs all others

ginawah46
on 8/17/09 12:02 pm
I went to Dr Jawad office on friday and was planning to have lapband
but the gastric sleeve sounds alot better did any of u have this surgery

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/09 12:24 pm
I had the sleeve done 1 month ago and have lost 41 lbs since my surgery day 7-14-2009 . I think it was the best investment I made in my life "Literally" .
cordel75
on 8/18/09 1:44 am - Butler, PA
I was going between the sleeve and the band. After doing a lot of research on it. Since the sleeve is still pretty new procedure my insurance would not cover it as there is not enough evidance of long term weight loss.

I decided on the band after talking with my Doctors office and the research that I did. Just felt the band was still the best option.

Just make sure to do what you feel is best for you. I know I was really tempted to get the sleeve because I had been hearing so much how people don't lose on the band and I don't want to have the surgery for nothing. But since I have meet a lot of people and talked with a lot that have lost great amounts of weight. Since I want to lose for me the band was it. It is a tool that if used right will provide great weight loss and will keep working if I start to regain it can be refilled. With any of the others (RNY, VSG) it stops working and you really don't have much left you can do but get encouragement to start re losing.

Hope that helps a little...this is just my view... talk with your family and friends to see what they think to help you make your decision and make a pros and cons list. That helped me a lot too. :)

Surgery - Lap Band / Date: 09/04/09 - AP Large (14cc band): Highest Weight - 310 / Surgery Weight - 284 / Current (lowest) Weight - 223 / Goal Weight - 145
Revision Surgery - Sleeve / scheduled: 12/02/14:  Highest Weight - 295  Surgery Weight - ???  Current Weight - 282  Goal Weight - 145

Rinarut
on 8/20/09 8:46 am
Hi! I had the vsg about three months ago and have lost 42 lbs.  I've had no problems with the surgery.  There's been several people that's had the band and went to VSG after.  Most of them had put weight back on but just like someone said before it is in how you work the tool.  Some people forget that  WLS is not a magic pill, it is a tool. 
unidos
on 8/21/09 12:13 am - Deland, FL
Choose what is best for you.. If you all remember the Band was experimental in 2003 and no one was doing it in the states..  Having the band is like being on a diet the rest of your life. You still have to watch what you eat. Band people loose the slowest of all. 

FYI the sleeve has been performed for years. It is the first part of the DS, they gave patients the first part of the DS until they lost enough to come back and do part 2 when they got down to a safe weight. They found there were signifagant losses without the need for a second surg.  If someone has stomach cancer and had a portion of the stomach removed the side effect was weight loss. 

There are people out there that have had total Gastrectomy's meaning no stomach. You can still function and live a normal life without one.  I read one instance where a guy was able to eat a steak as long as he chewed it well.

I had considered the band back in 03 but Kaiser didn't do it and they wanted me to have the RNY and a 6 month pre op diet so I passed. Don't like the re-routing of the the insides and the fact that RNY people have soft stool for along time. I like the fact that I can go(#2) as I did before surg. 

I'm glad I waited. People have had a lot of issues with the band as far as it breaking, slipping, migration into the stomach, port infections. Then you have the life long fills and unfills.. PASS I am self pay and with the band it cost 50.00 for those fills and unfills if you are uninsured as I am.  If it breaks I would have to pay to have it removed so was not worth it to me..

I don't have to worry about nutrient deficiency. All I am required to take is a Multi Vit but I take calcium and B12 too. I have labs soon and just want to make sure my levels are good. 

I was 399 Day of Surg. I am now 341. including pre op loss I am down 95lbs  lol i dont care if clothes shrink if I use the dryer now.

Good luck and sorry for the book.

ginawah46
on 8/25/09 1:52 am

Your book was great lol .............It has given alot to think about I am so confused but u made alot of good points about the fills plus the doctor is 2 hrs away from the form object in my stomach i was worried about that and yes i am self pay i have ins but it doesnt cover any weight loss surgery which sucks..............really leaning towards the sleeve

tdf711
on 8/24/09 10:51 pm - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
 Kind of the same situation I was going through last year.  I went to the Cleveland Clinic WLS Orientation because I was interested in the lap band.  After hearing about the VSG, I decided to hold off for a while so I could do some research.  That was August 08.  Feb 09 I decided to make an appointment with the Dr. Szomstein at Cleveland Clinic to discuss the VSG.  I was fortunate that my insurance covered the VSG.  I was 346 lbs in Feb, 321 lbs on May 8 (day of surgery) and as of yesterday I am 258 lbs.  Down a total of 88 lbs.  My goal is 195 to 200 so about 60 lbs to go.

VSG was a great decision for me but continue to do your research and figure out if it's right for you.
 Troy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views