Don't know where to start...

agentmarge
on 7/13/09 12:58 pm
I am desperate to have weightloss surgery.  I have yo-yo dieted my way up to 300 pounds!  I've been on slim-fast, soup diets, counted calories, south beach, atkins, medically supervised weightloss, starvation, etc.  I always loose 10 and gain 20, loose 20 and gain 30...

I just sat through a 15 minute lecture from my family doctor last week, wherein he told me that I was one step away from being moved by flat bed trucks and having to remove walls to leave my house.  He finished by saying that I'm too young (29 years old) to have surgery and that he absolutely will not approve it.  He said that if I'd just eat less than 800 calories a day, I'd be fine and that anything over that is being a glutton.  I'm experiencing a lot of joint/muscle pain, acid reflux, constant headaches, depression, and circulatory problems, but he won't even look into any of it because he says it won't go away until I loose the weight. 

I'm tired of working 70 hours a week and being treated like a lazy ass because I'm fat.  I'm tired of going to the grocery store, hardware store, mall, gas station, anywhere and having people say hateful things and laugh at me.  I won't even go anywhere with my husband because I feel like an embarassment.  I use to live at the beach, and now I come up with any excuse I can to avoid going if friends invite me.    

How do I get approved for this surgery if my doctor is dead set agains it?  Do I just get a new doctor, only to have him say the same thing?  Everyone I know that's had the surgery has recommended their doctor, but lo and behold their not on my provider listing.  What do I do???
AshleyDillo
on 7/13/09 1:30 pm - Tallahassee, FL

I would try and find a doctor who supports the surgery and is on your plan.

Have you figured out which surgeon you're going to use?  Maybe you could talk to their office about your difficulties with the doctor situation and they could intervene or point you towards another doctor that they know supports the surgery.

I specifically picked my PCP by finding out who would be accepted by my plan and then I searched online and found a patient review who had said my PCP was pro-WLS.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

agentmarge
on 7/13/09 9:53 pm
There are no surgeons on my provider listing that do this surgery.  I guess I will start calling the surgeons offices one by one and see if they accept my plan and who they can recommend.  Thank you for the help!
maris_38
on 7/15/09 11:05 am - Orlando, FL
Where are you located? My PCP tried for several years to convince me to have the surgery.  They do exist, they are out there. 

If you can let folks know where you are, they can tell you who they saw - we all probably had to get a referral letter - or a letter of medical necessity from our PCPs.  Most likely you will also need a PCP to supervise a diet for 6 months (depending on your insurance requirements).
williby
on 7/17/09 7:57 am - Casselberry, FL
If that was my doctor that had said that I would be looking for a new doctor.
No one should shoot you down when you have come to them for help.

After years of dieting and feeling like a frump I started researching the surgery.
I am a nurse and have seen the results.
My problem was convincing my husband that this surgery was safe.

My surgeon is in my network but my insurance would not cover it.
After getting my cardiologist and doctor to write letters and still getting turned down, I decided to take matters into my own hands. No one was going to tell me I couldnt have this done.

I am paying for it myself, I could have gotten financing for it but decided not to.

There is a way, and you are not to young.
Keep looking, or do what I did, just got to an information night and see what they can help you with.

Good luck
Carrie

sandyfeets
on 7/19/09 3:21 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
 First---change doctors.... cause the only fat ass that was in that room that day was HIM.
Find a surgeon in your area and call his office and ask if they know PCP's that are WLS friendly.  Compare those names to the ones on your provider lists.
THEN switch to that PCP and have a few visits with him/her BEFORE you bring up WLS.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views