Obesity Walk for Florida?

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/09 11:51 pm - FL
Has anyone heard yet if there will be a Walk from Obesity in Florida yet?  I know there was a couple people working on it................ Thoughts?
Hugs Kristen

PS I just moved here from Maryland to the Tampa area.  Please let me know of any local support meeting. Thank you!
Ed W.
on 7/8/09 1:49 am, edited 7/8/09 2:12 am - Casselberry, FL
Kristen,
only one close to tampa so far is in celebration http://walkfromobesity.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ieve nt=310510

Glad you finally got your move done!

Ed

HIghest Weight - 287 /Surgery Weight - 278  /Curent Weight - 150/Goal - 154 

Michael Eak
on 7/8/09 4:02 am - Largo, FL
Susan Kay at the Palms of Pasadena ran last years "Tampa Bay Walk from Obesity" at the Largo Central Park, with a Health Fair following but they weren't happy with the set-up from the Largo Parks & Recreation Dept.

Susan & had chatted about this years Walk going to another park here in Pinellas County. Following it with a Breakfast Set-Up. Last year every Hospital and Bariatric Surgeon was contacted But only the Palms of Pasadena Hospital came through with the registration and sponsorship. The only Bariatric Surgeons *****sponded were Dr.Grossbard, Dr.Jesse and Dr. Rehnke and their staffs.

The first two years, Morton Plant Hospital of Clearwater, ran everything over in the Citrus Park Mall.But attendance was mainly from Pinellas so they are now being held over here. There is no boundairies as to where & who has a Walk From Obesity. There had bbeen talk of One in East Tampa, One in Bradenton, One in Sarasota and One in Pinellas as everyone complains about distant driving for a Walk from Obesity that last a couple of hours and the media won't cover.

In some states they only have ONE Walk and everyone come from all over for it as a show of unity in the Bariatric Family. But there's no unity in Florida. As everyone thinks their surgeon is the best instead of everyone just caring about helping everyone to fight obesity to lead a healthier lifestyle.

I will contact Susan Kay and see if their going to sponsor this year.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Aphrodites
on 7/8/09 7:22 am, edited 7/8/09 7:26 am - FL
To my knowledge there are two going on:

Florida
Celebration
Hollywood

I am part of the planning committee for the Hollywood, Floriday one but if you call the 1-800 they can let you know if there are any others in Florida that just haven't been posted to their website.

My Food Blog 

Michael Eak
on 7/22/09 7:44 am - Largo, FL
Walk from Obesity 9/26/09

In cities across the United States, individuals affected by obesity, along with family and friends of those affected, healthcare professionals and many others will come together and proudly walk to raise awareness of the disease of obesity, childhood obesity and morbid obesity in the Annual Walk from Obesity.   Once again, Palms of Pasadena Hospital's Bariatric Program along with our surgeons will be orchestrating the local event.  We are hoping that you, our WLS alumni, our friends, co-workers and family will come and support us.   Details are under way but please mark this date on your calendar.

Here is what we know so far with more details in a few days.

Walk Date: Saturday, September 26, 2009

Walk Location:
Palms Of Pasadena Hospital
1501 Pasadena Ave.
St. Petersburg, FL

Registration Begins at 8:30 am
The Walk Begins at 9:30 am

Presented By: Ernest Rehnke, MD and Tiffany Jessee, DO - Palms of Pasadena Hospital

Event Leader: Susan E. Kay R.N. - 727-341-7706 or [email protected].

Please visit www.walkfromobesity.com and click on "Join a Walk".  Follow the link to Florida and drill down to St. Petersburg.  You can make a team or join a team.  Last year we had Dr. R. “Pro’s" and Dr. Jessee’s "Rays of Sunshine".  And of course, you can create your own team.  The registration fee is $25.00 per person to participate in the Walk.  The fee includes your event registration and one official Walk from Obesity T-shirt.  You are also encouraged to ask individuals or companies to sponsor you in the Walk.  Just think, if you ask five friends for a $5 donation, you could walk for free!  If you are unable to participate, you can still make a donation by visiting www.walkfromobesity.com and click on "make a donation" or contact me at 727-341-7706 as your local walk leader.

The Walk from Obesity is the only event that brings together those who are directly affected by the disease of obesity.  Participating in this event is key to drawing attention to the disease of obesity and the need for treatment and prevention efforts.  The event is fun, a great way to exercise and raises money for a worthwhile cause!
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/09 11:16 am - FL
Michael that is awesome, count me in! I will be there!  Can you send me some info about local support meeting in Tampa or close to it.  I just moved to Florida from Maryland.
Thank you Kristen

[email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views