birth control and WLS

LadySmith
on 6/23/09 12:04 am - Milton, FL
Hello everyone. I was at my surgeon's seminar the other day and had a few questions. He did great with the majority but left the last and most important to me at the time, unansered. What are my options/complications with birth control.
He simply replied that it depended on my sexual activity. I wouldnt be asking about  pregnancy/birth control if I wasn't sexually acitive. I'm happily married and plan to be even more sexualy active post-op! 
Anyway, my question would probably be better answered by the ladies that have lived thru this-what are the options for birth control post-operative. Since post-ops generally cant "stomach" pills and I personally dont feel the  IUD is moral. What is out there for me? No I dont want to be steralized (regardless of the procedure) since we are open to the option of having another  child but not during the initial couple of years while my weight steadies. So I'm open to suggestions! Thanks
[email protected]
Michael Eak
on 6/23/09 5:49 am - Largo, FL
OK since it's a greater possibility of getting Pregnant after losing just some weight. Your either going to have to make him wear a Condom. Or go on some sort of Control. Since it seems you object to everything. I gues you'll just have to not have intercourse or use a BIG Cork! roflmao!
countesstabitha
on 6/23/09 1:32 pm - Palm Harbor, FL
 Post-op I went on Nuva Ring.. it's a ring that is inserted in the vagina, works VERY similarly to the birth control pill, but you just put it in and 3 weeks later you remove it and have your period. 

Your partner does not really feel it during intercourse, so that's really not an issue. And it is 99.99% effective against pregnancy (just like the pill) there is no reminder daily to take a pill, no worries about it not working.. and as long as it is inserted correctly (think like a tampon?) you don't feel it and it doesn't slip out.. you just go about your day as normal..

If you have any other questions, you can feel free to contact me.. I have to tell you I'm post-op.. and I have PCOS seriously.. and this has been such a blessing for me.

LadySmith
on 6/24/09 9:15 am - Milton, FL
Thank you. A few good friends of mine went with the Nuvo Ring but they had problems keeping it in place. I guess it just depends on the woman. Thanks and I"ll take that to my obgyn as an option. You mentioned that you have PCOS, do you mind if I ask you more about your symptoms? I'm suffering not only from the obvious cysts but from high insulin and endosterone. With birth control, I take three medications to manage it daily. What about you? 
countesstabitha
on 6/24/09 9:33 am, edited 6/24/09 9:33 am - Palm Harbor, FL
 It can be very difficult to place the ring, I won't lie about that. It usually takes me a few tries to get it in and get comfy each time. However, once it is in place properly - unless you seriously strain when going to the bathroom.. it's a nonissue. It just stays right there. I've only had it slip once, and that was when I was super constipated.. I strained and I could feel it falling lower - I pulled it out and was sure to follow the instructions of placing it back within a 3 hour mark after washing it off with cold water.. Simple as that. Regular activity however, should not cause it to move again, if it is placed correctly!

However, be patient with yourself. You're on a weight loss journey as it stands.. the problem with getting it in place is that the weight does make it more difficult - as the weight comes off, it becomes easier. I'm sure with RNY, that would only be an issue for a couple months. I had the band, so it's taking me quite a bit longer.. just remember to stick to your diet and follow the rules and you will do fine and within a short period of time - you'll have no issues placing it.

I have severe hair growth all over (my arms look like a man! I kid you not!), random periods that are incredibly heavy and last for weeks at a time, severe acne, testosterone like crazy (i have horribly oily skin, hair, everything!) , obviously obesity with a majority of my weight set in the abdomen area, I've been infertile for 5 years, all of this has caused me to become incredibly depressed and have the worst time dealing with that depression.. hmmm.. I do believe those are my biggest issues.

As for me, I do take spiro daily now to manage some symptoms and in about 2 weeks I'm going on accutane to help me with the acne and oily issues.. It will be so nice to shrink my oil glands to a normal size! 

One of the reasons I chose the ring is because of the fact I didn't want to take even more medications daily. I mean, it can get ridiculous quickly! Right now I have a pretty bad infection and I'm taking 5 pills a day just for that! I'm not a pill person, at all.. so adding more to a routine would not work for me.

I have had no negative side effects from the spiro and nuva ring mix and I do take antidepressant every day as well.. so total I normally take 2 pills daily for everything - depression/anxiety and pcos. It's worth it for that relief though.. 

Let me know if you have any more questions, I am more than willing to share! Once I got my diagnosis of this, I tried to learn as much as I could and even started putting info on my website to try and maintain a record of at least a general idea of what I come across - not always very good about putting ALL of it there, but I am trying! 

allicat0630
on 6/27/09 8:13 pm - MINNEOLA , FL
I am going to the doc next week and plan on going back on depo provera. I had great success with it for many years. The best part....no periods! When i wanted to get pregnant, it only took a month for fertility to return. You can get a script for the injections and do them yourself every three months instead of going to the doc's office. Best of luck!
LadySmith
on 6/28/09 7:33 am - Milton, FL
Thank you. I've been on the depo shot before and it made me bleed nonstop. :(  I'm still hoping there are other options out there. But thanks again for replying.
Beatriz A.
on 6/29/09 1:42 am - Sunny Miami, FL
Two and half years post off and have taken oral birth control since and no problems so far....
Beatriz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views