Tricare and Plastics

Raven
on 6/19/09 8:28 am - GA
I am getting ready to go to my PCM on Monday to ask about this but I am wondering if anyone had any experiences lately with this. I can't take the skin issues anymore....unfortunately we just moved down here from Virginia where Tricare North did not cover any kind of plastics (they offered a discount at the Naval Hospital however there was a year and a half wait and you couldn't go on the list until a year and a half after your GBS...by then it's transfer time, lol). I can even prove mental health problems due to this (I have depression issues already but body image problems seriously aggrevate the problem). I don't know if that can help get me approved for a tummy tuck, but I figure it can't hurt trying. I went from 278 to 155, a size 26/28 to a 8/10 and this isn't the first time I've lost weight. I'd previously went from a 24 to a 16 on my own before I had my RNY. I am stable though with my weight loss and I'm over 2 1/2 years out so that shouldn't be an issue. If tricare prime doesn't cover any of this does anyone know what the costs are around north jacksonville (I'm actually up in Kingsland, GA) for a TT? Thanks.

Redhaired
on 6/19/09 1:28 pm - Mouseville, FL
Tricare approvals for panniculectomy are spotty at best.  They can approve it -- but they do get picky.  They will be looking for evidence of medical necessity.  They will want documentation of on-going treatment of rashes and infections and they will want to know how far down the pannus hangs.  They will want to know that your skin issues have been non-responsive to less invasive treatment.  They will want documentation of on-going treatment by by your PCP and/or a dermatologist. They will want documentation of prescriptions for creams and antibiotics.  They want to know the skin issues are effecting your health and as they put it "making you sick".  Psychological issues are specifically excluded so don't even try to go there.  How do I know all of this -- well sitting right here on my desk is a tricare denial for a friend of mine and I am writing her appeal letter.  They approved her panniculectomy but denied the back portion of the lower body lift.

You might want to contact Dr. Bill Mitchell.  A couple of years ago when I first started looking for a plastic surgeon that accepted Tricare I sent him an email and he responded right away that he accepted Tricare.  He has offices in your neck of the woods, Brunswick, St. Mary's and Waycross.  http://www.renuemd.com/ 
 I used Dr. Paul Albear in Tampa who also accepts Tricare.  I am tickled to pieces with my results.  http://www.albearplasticsurgery.com/index.cfm

Red

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views