United Healthcare Insured...

CrazyBMI
on 6/18/09 12:48 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hey folks, i'm in J-ville and am looking to switch my insurance carrier in order to have my surgery paid for. Has anyone had experience with UHC, good or bad that they don't mind sharing? TIA!!!

NiNi
maris_38
on 6/21/09 3:31 am - Orlando, FL
I have UHC and had no issues with them as a company.  However, they're really just the administrator of my employer's program - it's a large corporation that self-insures.  UHC provided me a care coordinator, I had zero hassles with the approval process, and no issues at all with the costs.  My surgeon's insurance coordinator and UHC dealt with everything with no hassle to me at all.

However, I have heard that when UHC is the insurer (and not just the administrator) that they have a lot less prerequisites than my employer did (eg: 6 month physician supervised diet - my employer required that - UHC apparently does not).  Every medical professional I've dealt with since I've had them seems to like them more than the other insurance companies since they're more hassle free, don't require referrals, have fewer 'hoops' etc.
CrazyBMI
on 6/21/09 10:50 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Thanks maris!!! My hubby's employer has UHC, and since I work for BCBSFL and they don't cover it, I was looking into UHC. I don't mind the 6 month deal since I know that AETNA requires that as well and I was already expecting it after looking into them. I'm just looking for insurance that will just cover it, lol!
maris_38
on 6/22/09 3:40 am - Orlando, FL
Glad to hear you have a choice... best of luck getting the surgery covered one way or another! 
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/09 5:02 am
I t really depends on what your employer subscibes to. I have United and they based the pay out on your BMI. I was covered at 90%. They gave me no hassle and I was approved with in a day of my surgeon submitting the request.
Best of luck
Mike
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/09 8:57 pm
It is not the insurance company but the specific plan

That said, we were covered by UHC and my surgery was approved in less than 72 hours.  My cost was a co-pay for the psych eval.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views