BCBS FLORIDA

Shannon Neel
on 6/12/09 8:13 pm - Chattahoochee, FL
My new insurance will be effective July 1st and I've already met all of there requirements I surely hope I get approved quickly. my new insurance is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida.(State Employee) anyone had any problems with BCBS.
crystal220
on 6/13/09 12:53 pm
Not at all. I fulfilled the requirements as required and approved.
latreshar
on 6/15/09 6:19 am - lake city, FL

NO, AS SOON AS MY REQUIREMENTS WERE DONE, I WAS APPROVED IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS, WHICH WERE THE LONGEST 2 WEEKS OF MY LIFE. GOOD LUCK FRIEND!!!

"GOD PROTECT ME FROM MY "SO FAKE" FRIENDS...MY ENEMIES I CAN HANDLE."

SURGERY DATE:8/13/2008-300LBS.
                                CURRENT-182LBS.                                
                                GOAL-160LBS.

CrazyBMI
on 6/17/09 11:49 pm - Jacksonville, FL

I work for them here in Jacksonville, but unfortunately, they have any type of WLS excluded for its employees. It irks my nerves to no end!! I have a BMI of 55 and i can't get them to pay any part of my surgery. So I decided to get help with shopping around for some private insurance that will pay for it and then i'll stop my insurance with BCBSFL! I sure wish I worked where you do since BCBSFL covers your group. I can't complain about how we process claims, because thats what I do all day, so the insurance is good, its just this stupid exclusion JUST for the employees!!! How is that for unfair?!?!? Good luck with yours, and I pray you all the best!!!

AshleyDillo
on 6/18/09 8:39 am - Tallahassee, FL
BCBSFL has a blanket exclusion for WLS, so it's not just their employees.  If a company wants to, they can purchase a rider to include the surgery but I'm not sure of any employers that do that.

The BCBS PPO for State of Florida employees does not have the exclusion.  I don't know if that was part of the long-standing contract they have with the State or if the State decided to purchase the rider.

I tried to get private insurance when I was self-employed and everyone turned me down because of my weight.  I hope that things have changed and you can find private insurance out there now!

The employees at the bariatric program I'm going through said that their insurance excludes the surgery which I thought was pretty ironic!
CrazyBMI
on 6/18/09 11:48 am - Jacksonville, FL
No, you're right Ashley. I was only speaking for BCBSFL's employees. I'm aware of the rider that employers can purchase for their group plans. I just wish BCBSFL would have continued to include it based on med necessity for its employees. As of Dec 04, they stopped. And yes, BCBS State employees are covered.
Shannon Neel
on 6/19/09 3:58 am - Chattahoochee, FL
Thanks for the info ,It's niced to be covered but the State should do something ...to make up for there wages they pay people!!!
AshleyDillo
on 6/20/09 12:17 am - Tallahassee, FL
So true!

My State job pays me 1/3 of what I made at my previous job.  The only reason I accepted the position was because it covers the surgery.  I'm planning on starting the job hunt as soon as I feel like I'm recovered enough to handle the demands of a new job.  Then I won't have to worry about the health insurance coverage aspect.
crystal220
on 6/21/09 3:20 am
It all balls down to saving money! It can be costly for them if WLS is included. However, many employers have and is dropping the coverage for wls for the reason of the number of claims. My employer covers the WLS but each year from the last five yrs, it has changed. However, they plan to change it again and may no longer carry that benefit, which is why I stop the procrastination and decide to start the ball rolling and was approved. It's sad but oh so true. The status of the economy is not making it any better for the employers and the offer of coverage for just overall general health benefits.

~NEVER SAY NEVER~

Shannon Neel
on 6/21/09 8:39 am - Chattahoochee, FL
Anyone know if BCBS recommends a nutritionalist or not?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views