Stress Eating: 7 Ways to Fight It

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/09 12:15 am - FL
I thought I would share this..........very interesting.  Hugs Kristen

Stress Eating: 7 Ways to Fight It

By:
Lynn Grieger

Question :

Because my life is very stressful right now, I am constantly turning to "comfort foods" like ice cream, cookies and breads. I cannot stick to healthy eating habits. I have lost my self-discipline and I am gaining weight rapidly. How can I motivate myself to get back on track?

Thanks in advance.

--Barbara

Answer :

Congratulations for realizing that you need some assistance in dealing with your situation and for reaching out for help. These are signs that you are on your way to managing your stress. As you know, stress can raise blood sugar levels and can cause you to change your daily routine. Below I have outlined some tips for managing stress and finding healthy comfort foods.

First, I strongly urge you to get some professional help, through a support group and your physician.

Second, consider these tips:

1. Learn to relax. Try deep-breathing exercises during which you close your eyes, consciously relax your body and focus on your breathing for five to 20 minutes each day. Try to breath deeply and remove all other thoughts from your mind.
  2. Try an audio-tape progressive relaxation exercise. Look in your local bookstore for ideas. These tapes usually have pleasant background music or sounds from nature and they lead you through relaxation exercises.
  3. Banish bad thoughts from your mind. Try placing a rubber band loosely on your wrist. Every time you have a negative thought, snap the rubber band. This will remind you to think positively.
  4. Memorize a prayer or poem to repeat to yourself every time you have a negative thought or feel yourself under increasing stress. Look through favorite books of poetry for ideas, or ask your pastor for help.
  5. Exercise. Daily exercise not only helps control blood sugar and also works to reduce stress. Try a daily 15- to 20-minute walk to clear your head. Focus on positive thoughts during your exercise time. If you can't get out to take a walk, try stretching in your shower or walking stairs. Do what you can, but try to commit to 15 to 20 minutes of some movement per day. You deserve it.
  6. As for comfort food, make yourself goodie bags. Regarding the snacking on "comfort foods," accept that you can't go back on what you have already consumed, but know that you can take it one step at a time, one day at a time. Try to make a commitment to yourself that you will prepare the next day's snacks the night before. That way, you'll have healthy food already prepared which you can carry with you throughout the day. Your goodie bags can include:
    • a hard-boiled egg, red-pepper strips and four to six whole-grain crackers
    • one cup lite soy milk or skim milk and one English muffin topped with a smear of peanut butter or all-fruit spread
    • three graham crackers and an orange
    • half a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich on whole-wheat bread
    • apple slices and one small sugar-free yogurt.
  7. Most importantly, don't give up! If you try one of these ideas and it doesn't seem to work, don't put the blame on yourself. Try another approach, find a different support group or talk with a different health-care consultant. You're too important to not give yourself every possible chance.

Sincerely,
Lynn Grieger, R.D., C.D., C.D.E.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views