Had appt with Dr. Overcash

Linda F.
on 4/8/09 8:20 am - Tampa, FL
I met with Dr. Overcash today.  I liked him - he seems to know exactly what he's talking about.  We discussed my options for a revision and decided that the DS was not for me.  Which is surprising - because I thought for sure that it would work better.  He suggested that we do a complete revision of my original RNY (from 1997) along with a Stomaphyx to fix any stretching.  What I was surprised about was the fact that he said that it would be able to be done as an out-patient procedure.  So different from my original, where I spent 5 days in the hospital.

Now comes the fun stuff.....getting the insurance to cover it.  Has anyone had Cigna to cover the revision?  Just wondering what your experience was.  My BMI is at 47 - with no major co-morbitities.

Thanks
Linda
Redhaired
on 4/8/09 9:39 pm - Mouseville, FL
Linda-
Dr. Overcash has not been doing the DS for very long and is not well known in the DS community.  I would take whatever he had to say about a revision to the DS with a grain of salt and go for a consult with an experienced DS revision surgeon.  There are several out there -- just not in the state of Florida.  A surgeon has to be very experienced in the DS to do revisions.  Dr. Husted in Ky or Dr. Greenbaum in NJ are two on the east coast that come to mind.

If you have not already, post a message on the DS forum.  There are many revision patients who post there.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

Red

Cruisinpat
on 4/9/09 4:10 am
Dr. Overcash is my surgeon and I had the DS. I can tell you first hand that he does not push the DS and prefers the RNY (I believe distal). If you really want the DS you need to check with other surgeons. Also he is very big into the Stomaphyx so it makes sense that he would suggest that. My feeling is that, if you failed with the original RNY, I would highly recommend getting other opinions on the DS. If it means travelling it will be worth it. Please don't get me wrong, I love Dr. Overcash and I think that he is an excellent surgeon. I just would not settle for what I feel is a lesser surgery. If the RNY failed once why wouldn't it fail again? Good luck to you.
Pat

Linda F.
on 4/9/09 6:01 am - Tampa, FL
Thanks for the input ladies.  Unfortunately, I am going to be at the mercy of the insurance company to pay for this revision, as I don't have the money to private pay.  My understanding is that Cigna won't pay for the DS, so really my choices are limited.
Redhaired
on 4/9/09 8:04 am - Mouseville, FL
If you will post this over on the DS forum and ask for input on Cigna someone might be able to help you.

KimM.
on 4/14/09 11:07 pm
I have to agree about Dr. Overcash.  I'm sure he's an excellent surgeon but he doesn't prefer doing the DS.  Also, keep in mind that marketing for the Stomphyx is very strong, while the DS is simply another surgical procedure.

I have Cigna Open Access and they do cover the DS.  You individual policy may have some specific requirements, but it's worth calling a rep (or two) to discuss it with them.   Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views