Has anyone gotten surgery through Medicaid?

rjh324
on 3/6/09 10:34 am
I am interested in learning about the process of getting the surgery through Medicaid. I previously tried to get surgery but our insurance would not cover it even with a medically nec. letter. Now that my husband has been laid off we are getting Medicaid. I have not choosen our HMO yet I am waiting for the paperwork but I was told some of the available HMOs will pay for it and some wont so I am curios who has had any type of weight loss surgery using Medicaid and which insurance you had choosen and how they were to work with in getting approved. Thank you for any information.
ginblosom007
on 3/7/09 5:10 am - middleburg, FL
Not sure about the approval part yet, but i can tell you that I have United Healthcare Medicaid, and my surgeon contacted them and they said i needed a 6 month diet, psych clearance, letter of medical nec., heart clearance, and 5 year height and weight history(which is just  an office visit from 5 years ago.)... My packet is getting submitted on tuesday after i go see the psychiatrist... i will let you know, send me a private message if you want!

Jennifer
Redhaired
on 3/8/09 9:51 pm - Mouseville, FL
Have you checked the sticky at the top of the message board for medicaid info?

rjh324
on 3/8/09 11:59 pm
I did check but it was all people looking for a Dr who would accept the Medicaid as an insurance, but I was able to find Drs who do accept it from that link.

Thanks,

Beth
Redhaired
on 3/9/09 12:31 am - Mouseville, FL
I was going to also suggest that you sort of back into the information.  Start calling surgeons in your area to see if they accept Medicaid and which carrier they accept and then go with that particular carrier.  I have been floating around this board for some time and I know that people often have trouble finding a surgeon that will accept medicaid.  And then when (gasp) they finally find one -- they accept the wrong medicaid carrier.  Consequently I would hold off on selecting your carrier until you identify the surgeon -- and then go with the carrier he/she accepts.

Red

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views