Way off the track...need help

dperry_jax
on 2/28/09 5:40 am - Orange Park, FL
It just hit me like a ton of bricks.  I got the Laproscopic RNY in June 2007.  By March 2008 I had lost 130 Lbs.  I started at 437 (day of surgery) and got down to 305 for a while.  Once, I had the flu and got down to 299!!!  lol  Well, that was the bottom, then I bounced back up, like the doctors say you will.  I got up to 325, then bounced between 315 and 325 for about 7 months.  Now, my wieght has crept up to 331. 

It hit me just about 30 minutes ago.  We ordered a Wii Fit.  It arrived today and I was soooo looking forward to playing it.  I set it up, stepped up on the board, and it told me I was over the weight limit.  I have been told that by scales for the past 8 years.  I thought those days were behind me!  Now, I am over the limit again.  Before you know it, I will be asking for "a table, not a booth" again.  Then having to use the handicapped stalls.  When will it end?! 

I am not one of those dramatic people that get all upset because they gained 5 pounds back, but I have not been able to break through that 300 Lbs barrier.  Even when I was walking 3 miles every night.  I am still not like I was with food.  I do probably eat a lot more than most peolpe that have had the surgery.  Unfortunately I was one of those horrible cases where I could eat anything after the surgery.  I can eat sugar, in small quantities, all types of meat, all veggies, bread....even fried stuff does not bother me. 

I should explain that my wife and I live with my family.  We have no alternatives right now.  We have lived here for over 2 years now.  It is depressing.  We, at this time, cannot pitch in on groceries, so I cannot make any demands for special foods.  My family is convinced they are buying healthy stuff, for the most part.  They bring in cakes and cookies.  They fry french fries, though I have been able to bake them sometimes.  They buy chips and dip because they do not like the baked chips or fat free.  They refuse to buy the 96% fat free meat because they cannot afford it and 90% is good enough, yet they can somehow afford Pizza every couple of weeks or Golden Corral.  They make roast, but don't trim the fat.  I try to plan good healthy meals, but they get mad because the grocery bill goes up.

I am not trying to blame them for everything, but they do not make it easy.  I used to eat fried chicken 3-5 times a week, burgers, fried fish...in other words, take out all the time.  I also used to drink a ton of soda...diet, but nonetheless.  Now, I can barely eat a burger and fries, but I do.  I also graze.  After dinner, every time I pass through the kitchen, I snitch a bite of leftovers. 

My support group disbanned because of lack of funds.  Can anyone offer some words of encouragement here?
Redhaired
on 2/28/09 5:56 am - Mouseville, FL
You need to see if there is a mechanical breakdown with your surgery.  Sometimes it happens.  Also -- in spite of the food that is brought into the house you can have a healthy diet.  So if they do not buy lean hamburger -- make sure yours is well drained or boiled.  Yes, you can boil hamburger meat and that will make it very, very low fat.  So what if they do not trim the fat from a roast  - you can trim the fat from your portion.  You can turn this around. 

Red

Jaclynn00
on 3/2/09 2:05 am - Riverview, FL
Something I've observed is that people can afford what they want to afford. I can't afford a new car or the payments that come with it, yet I can afford to send my girls to gymnastic classes, violin lessons and my monthly YMCA family payment. Put those together and you've got a car payment. Sounds like your parents are the same way.

I'm sure you already do... but try to say thank you to your parents....often. Right now I've got my daughter and her two kids living with us and it makes it very very hard. The little ones can't eat all the same things that we do, so she buys the extra. Total, there are 13 people in my house. It's simply amazing sometimes.
Can you afford to purchase just the lower fat meat or the reduced fat products and have them get the rest of the groceries?

Or- if you can't, let them purchase all the groceries, but YOU prepare the dinner. That way you can be sure to drain things properly, and prepare the foods with as little fat as possible.

I KNOW it's hard. Especially when there are cakes and cookies and everything else bad for you just lying around. Try to put everything AWAY- out of site- out of mind.

Lastly, it might help if you clean the kitchen right after you eat dinner. Put the food away and make it less available. That way you wont be as tempted to graze.

You've accomplished SO much. AND you are trying to move forward... (the wii fit proves that).
Just pull up your britches and keep on going. You're gonna be ok...  I just know it!

Born Swimmer
on 3/3/09 8:09 am - Sunny, FL
You know, I strongly recommend going to a farmer's market.  Things are cheaper there, fresh healthy fruits/veggies and while your meat can't be the leanest possible, you can at least bulk up on fruits/veggies (which is what we should do when we get enough protein).  How to find a good market... I'm not sure.  I've only been to one in my life.  Things are cheaper there... and it helps the local economy.  I hope you are drinking water now instead of pop.  That is free! Also... just because they don't trim the fat, doesn't mean you can't.  When you get your slab of meat with fat marbled in it, cut around it.  They might call you wasteful, but explain to them about your health.  Enablers don't understand that a little fat here, and a ltitle fat there, really adds up on someone that has a propensity to gain weight.

Grazing... get out of the house.  In the evenings... it is beautiful this time of year in FL.  Walk around the block... or even just sit on your porch!  Just dont' go near that kitchen!  Some say dont' chew gum, but if you have an oral fixation, drink tha****er or chew some gum or SF mints. 

I am so sorry they bring in junk like cookies/cakes.  That is my weakness.  Especially chocolate chip cookies. Those things are not permitted in my house.  Maybe come up with some strategies with your wife?  they say that habits cannot be broken, but rather transferred.  If you get some cheap fruits from the farmer's market... maybe that substitution will suffice?  Some people drink hot tea or coffee at night (decaf) to curb cravings/grazing.

Another option.  Some places have food drives like Second Harvest.  I don't know if they have one in your area, but maybe you qualify for that.  They collect healthy foods and maybe you can bring some good staples in the house that way?  Jupiter on the RNY board has posted before about her budget friendly appraoch to WLS.  Maybe post on the RNY board... budget tips?

I hope something is helping you, giving you ideas, etc.  I wish I could be of more help.  Also, I hope you are getting your supplements in.  Please let me know.  I have some that I cannot use (I did not tolerate) and might be able to send you some (that is if my friend can't use them... she asked first). 

I hope this helped...

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

crdavis
on 3/14/09 2:59 pm
Have you ever gone to the BariatricEating.com message boards?  Wonderful place for advice and will definitely help you get back on track too...lots of great recipes and ADVICE!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views