vocational rehab

brezal_78
on 2/20/09 8:45 am - ME
VSG on 12/23/13
Has anyone had WLS with the help of vocational rehab?  If so, how was the process?
Redhaired
on 2/20/09 1:05 pm - Mouseville, FL
It has been awhile since I recall seeing anyone post that voc rehab covered their surgery -- but a few years back it seems it was pretty common.

Red

dperry_jax
on 2/28/09 5:55 am - Orange Park, FL
Vocational Rehab covered my surgery in 2007.  I am not sure if any of the policies have changed, but they were very friendly and understanding.  It is a slow process though.  It is government and it is an expensive procedure for them to cover, so expect delays and lots of paperwork.

Before you even consider it, get the paperwork together.  They will need a signed letter from at least two doctors stating the medical need for it.  for example, I had my primary write one stating how it was necessary to eliminate my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, etc.  Then I had my pulmonologist state it would greatly reduce my sleep apnea, and my gastroenternologist stated it would greatly improve my IBS.  they will not just do the surgery because you are obese....you have to have some comorbidities.  Also, try to document various diet programs you have been on, such as Weigh****chers and Jenny Craig...th pay ones are easiest, but they will also accept letter from doctors stating they had you on a physician supervised diet program.

Don't be discouraged by all of this.  The primary goal of Vocational Rehab is to get you back to work, so you can only get the surgery through them if you can show that your weight has either cost you your job or that it is threatening your job.  Hang in there...it will work out. 
brezal_78
on 3/1/09 3:07 am - ME
VSG on 12/23/13
I am not working right now.  I haven't worked since Oct.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views