VSG vs RNY

dave_s
on 2/10/09 12:39 pm - Lake Mary, FL
Ok, I know this has been discussed a few times in many of the forums, but I wanted to try and get the "latest" feedback from anyone willing to post.

I finally have insurance coverage for either the VSG or RNY.  I met with Dr. Overcash today and he filled in the blanks that I had and now its up to me.  I was scheduled in '05 for the RNY with him and chickened out a few days prior to surgery.  I tried to lose the weight on my own, dropped 55lbs but couldn't break under 300# and have now ballooned back up.   I prefer Dr. O's blunt-ness personally and he seems to have great stats. 

One primary concern that has developed recently was the ability to keep the weight off 4-5 years down the road.  For this, I think RNY is the way to go. 

If you were in the same spot (deciding which to do between RNY & VSG), please, chime in and let me know how/why you chose your surgery.

Thanks,
Dave
Redhaired
on 2/10/09 9:17 pm - Mouseville, FL
Dave-
Have you considered the DS?

crystal220
on 2/16/09 11:15 am
Hi Dave, maybe you should post on the RNY and VSG board or read alot of the questons and response from people. I am in research/decision process too but I think after all...I have made my decision.

Good luck.

~NEVER SAY NEVER~

dave_s
on 2/16/09 11:36 am - Lake Mary, FL
I don't feel the DS is right for me, after some serious thought I'm going to go with the RNY.  I think the VSG would be nice, but I know myself all too well, I'd end up cheating and not keeping the weight off in the long run.

I've got a tenative date with Dr. O for March 11th!
joslim
on 3/1/09 2:10 pm - NV
On February 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM Pacific Time, dave_s wrote:
I don't feel the DS is right for me, after some serious thought I'm going to go with the RNY.  I think the VSG would be nice, but I know myself all too well, I'd end up cheating and not keeping the weight off in the long run.

I've got a tenative date with Dr. O for March 11th!
I am sorry to say this but you have it reversed. if you feel that you can't stick to a diet then the RNY is not the best for you. it is a very restrictive diet, basically low fat, low carb, high protein diet for the rest of your life. if you read the blogs of RNYers they all say they have had success when they stuck to the diet. the ones who don't, don't have as much success with it. everyone I have talked to and met at the last DS support group say that they can eat just about anything with the DS and still lose weight. I did a lot of research and the DS has the best results for total weightloss, sustainable weightloss/ and fewer complications ten years out. I have read all the failure blogs and it always seems that everyone with other failed WLS ended up turning to the DS for success. as a result I have decided to get the DS to start with. like you I don't not feel that I will be able to spend the rest of my life on a DIET. lets face it, if we could stick to a diet we wouldn't need to get WLS. the only thing you need to stick to with the DS is taking your vitamins. which ever WLS you get I wish you an easy surgery, no pain, and lots of success.
KimM.
on 2/22/09 11:25 pm
Dave, I have to agree with Red on this one.  The DS has superior long-term stats for overall and maintained weight loss.  It's less restrictive in terms of lifestyle and it doesn't physically punish you for making poor food choices.  I'm just puttin it out there.

I had a consultation with Dr. Overcash as well and I'm with you -- I benefit from some tough love.  However, regardless of which surgeon you choose, be sure to investigate his professional background completley and thoroughly.  You may find what you thought was a good fit really isn't.  If you'd like to PM me, we can talk more about this.

Good luck with whichever surgeon and procedure you choose. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views