Revision Doctor

Regina Ping
on 2/3/09 10:53 am - Vero Beach, FL
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a doctor on the Treasure Coast that does revisions?  I live in Vero Beach and have thought about going to Ocala with another doctor that is in with Dr. Overcash, the doctors name started with a "K".  Just needing to find one as I am starting my research for a revision from RNY.  Any information is appreciated.
Redhaired
on 2/4/09 12:14 am - Mouseville, FL
If you are looking for a revision to the DS the only DS surgeon in the state is Dr. Gagner in Miami, and he is top draw.  He is well published and has an international reputation.  I believe it is Dr. Hoddinut (sp?) who was practicing with Dr. Overcash.  But he not well known in the DS communty here.  Dr. Overcash was doing the DS but I believe he is on leave of absence.  And while he is an experienced surgeon -- he had only recently started doing the DS.  And for a revision you want a very experienced surgeon.  Also I suggest if you are seeking a DS that you join us on the DS forum.  There are many who post there who have had revisions from RNY to DS.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/

Red

Regina Ping
on 2/13/09 1:35 am - Vero Beach, FL
Thank you for the info.  I looked up Dr. Gagner but he's moving to NY.  Bummer!!  I did call Dr. Overcash's office and Dr. Hoddinott's office.  I just want to make sure they know exactly what I am looking for and want done to my body.  Don't see much about either of them on the boards.  I did see where Munroe Regional has a support group in Orlando, is that the group you told me about?  I can't travel to NY for Dr. Gagner or better yet out of state and there's no way I can afford ot pay out of pocket.  I have BCBS with the State of Florida which does pay for surgery that is medically necessary and I told Dr. Hoddinott's nurse that and she said they could get me approved.  I just want to make sure they are clear on what I am wanting to do before I make the 3 hour long trip.

Regina.
Redhaired
on 2/13/09 1:59 am - Mouseville, FL
Regina-
Just be clear that you want the DS and nothing else.   I know a couple of people who had the DS with Overcash but I have never in all the years I have been on this board (and others) seen a DS patient of Hoddinott.  I will warn you if the surgeon does not routinely do the DS -- they will generally try to talk you out of it.  On the DS board we hear of many surgeons who tell folks they will have gas and poop issues for the rest of their lives and they will lose their jobs and husbands because they smell!  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Most of us DSers have to travel to have surgery.  I went to Omaha Nebraska for mine and I could not be more pleased. The travel isn't so bad and most DS surgeons are very accomodating when it comes to patients that travel.  In my case, I had all of my pre-op testing done locally and only had to go to Omaha once before surgery, for surgery,  then at six months and one year.  I went back at two years and I will go this summer at three years but those are my call.  All one really has to do is have your lab work sent to your surgeon when you are a post-op.

As to the support group.  No, our group is all DSers!  I have never been to the Monroe meeting but I would be willing to bet you will find it is primarily RNY and Lap Band patients. 

Good luck and keep me in the loop.

Red

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views