Does Dr. Keith Kim, Preform the DS ?

doc1857
on 1/25/09 9:42 am - Elk Grove, CA
I am trying to find out information about Dr Keith Kim, in Celebration Fl. I would like to know anything I can find out from people who have used him. Also I am trying to find out if he does the DS Procedure.

Thanks
Doc

maris_38
on 1/25/09 11:31 am, edited 1/25/09 11:46 am - Orlando, FL
I'm a patient of Dr Kim's.  I had gone to a number of info sessions from other surgeons but ended up going with him for really 4 reasons.

#1: Most other docs I saw focused on the "feel" factor.  By that I mean, the "you'll lose weight, life is so much better at a normal weight, you won't have to be a miserable fat person yada yada yada".  To me this was a serious medical procedure - I didn't want a sales job, I wanted the hard, cold medical facts.  That is exactly what I got from Dr Kim.  Don't get me wrong, he's a very nice, quiet, respectful guy - but he is all about the science and that's what I wanted.  That said, his program is very strict compared to what you'll see others discussing on OH.  I personally think that's probably a good thing.

#2: His practice is a bariatric center of excellence - that means he holds to rigorous standards, has extensive training & experience etc - he isn't a surgeon that decided to just do bariatrics as a side-line or just decided to change over.  Here's the accrediting association website: www.asbs.org/  & here's more about the accreditation: www.surgicalreview.org/faq.aspx

#3: His program is very extensive and supportive.  They have 2 or more support sessions a month, his fees include a Nutritionist and an Exercise pysiologist. The program even includes measuring your metabolic rate. There's a therapist available (she does the Psych consults for Dr Kim) - who has had the surgery herself.  I did a separate eval just for my insurance clearance (she wasn't in-network for me) - and hers was much more thorough and she really tailored her advice (based on testing) to be a practical help on areas to be careful of post-surgery.  There's a chef at the hospital who has had the surgery and leads bariatric cooking classes (for a materials only fee).  Dr Kim's staff have been nothing but wonderful to me - very helpful and supportive.  In fact the hospital has a whole 'wing' for bariatric patients only, with everything sized for large patients (no gaping too-small gowns here).  I can say that any questions I've had have been answered promptly - and very helpfully.  If you live near Celebration, the hospital even has a gym.

#4: He took my insurance   (I have United Healthcare).

Those were my reasons, and I can honestly say that I've had nothing but a positive experience (and I'm a really hard to please, sceptical type).  My surgery was without complications.

I'm not sure he does DS.  He does RNY, lap and Sleeve Gastrectomy that I know of.  In any case, here's the website.  www.floridabariatric.com/about/index.asp.  I know he can give you the medical fact, stats etc on the procedures to help you decide which approach is best for you (I vascillated for a long time between band and RNY).

Best of luck to you whoever you go to, and whatever surgery you have.
kangasuz
on 1/26/09 11:11 am - Sanford, FL

Hi -- I'm looking to have lap RNY with Dr. Kim, hopefully this summer. I'm in month 3 of my 6-month insurance required diet. I've attended his info session and I liked him too. His staff detailed the process for me, but I'd like your take... what do you mean by saying that his program is more strict than others here on OH?

What type of pre-op tests did he required? How long was it between insurance approval and surgery date? How much weight did you have to lose?

Any and all information is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Suzi

maris_38
on 1/27/09 12:58 pm - Orlando, FL
Hi there,

When I said his program was more strict, what I really meant was in terms of dietary restrictions before and after surgery.

Before: 2 week liquid diet pre-surgery.  All you can have is water and sugar free drinks (absolutely NO juice or soda... even diet), protein shakes (usually made with the 3 serves of dairy you also need) and 1 cup of raw veggies each day (plus vitamins).  Even the protein stuff is pretty strict: as low in fat and sugar/carbs as you can possibly find (you'll see a lot of folks whose surgeons told them to take the Carnation instant breakfasts - that has too much fat/carbs).  

Dr Kim never set any weight loss requirements (the 6 month diet was an insurance requirement for me too), but what he did say was that the pre-surgery diet is intended to shrink the liver and improve the odds of him being able to do the surgery laproscopically.  I complied, lost 20lbs and had the surgery laproscopically (I have had no complications to date). I think he'll still do it even if you don't comply with the diet - but may have to do so open vs lap (you sign your consent prior to surgery for him to do open if necessary).  The way I looked at it - this was one thing in my control, so I made sure to give myself the best chance possible to have fewer complications.

After: Dr Kim's program goes in essentially 5 stages. First few days after surgery is liquid only (same - plus a couple more - restrictions on liquid as pre-surgery... no juice, no soda, no caffeine and no coffee of any kind).  Then you move on to pureed food for about 10-14 days.  Mainly protein plus a little bit of veggies/fruit.  3 serves of dairy and a ton of protein supplements to make up for the food you aren't eating. 

After that you move on to regular (but soft) food.  Think steamed/braised/poached stuff.   4th stage is solid food, but all protein, dairy and fruit/veggies (and nothing else).  You are allowed beans at this point.  This stage lasts until 6 months out from surgery.  Until that 6 month point you aren't allowed potatoes (real downer for me... I love 'em), pasta, bread, crackers, rice, tortillas etc.  Basically any "flour" based carbs (whether that's wheat, rice, soy or corn seems to make no difference). 

Last stage is "the rest of your life" and you can add ONE serve of that stuff a day (rice, spuds, bread etc).  Alcohol is forbidden for the first year.  Pretty much forever on the "no no" list: juice, soda, processed meat (salami, pepperoni etc); and empty calorie foods like chips, cakes etc.  I'm sure they know you're going to have some at some point - but they want you to get the point that you still have to watch what goes into your mouth.  The surgery is not a magic wand - and if you don't learn to eat very healthily and choosily you will gain the weight back.  Alcohol is strongly discouraged even after a year.  Dr Kim is pretty much a 'science' based guy - and the stats on folks who have RNY and become alcoholics is around 30% - which is pretty darn high - so they want you to be very, very careful.

I see a lot of folks posting on these forums about being allowed all kinds of food and drink after surgery - even folks who are having juice and toast with their breakfast <1 month out - with their surgeon's OK.  So that's what I meant by stricter.

As for pre-op testing.  A lot of that is going to be governed by your individual health conditions.  For example: I have had a heart murmer since childhood (it's no big deal - never been an issue) - but I had to have a clearance from a cardiologist.  I also have a blood disorder, so required a clearance from the heamatologist.  They do do a routine blood panel, h-pylori test (this has to do with the potential for ulcers) and a chest x-ray.  I had mine done about 4 days before surgery.  You will also have to have a psych clearance from the psychologist who works with Dr Kim (she's in the same building he is).  She's actually very good.  Does extensive testing to be able to give you really tailored advice (plus she's had RNY herself).

What else?  You'll be given an incentive spirometer at the detailed pre-surgery and nutritional class you will be taking a week or so before the surgery (at that class they'll give you a specific protein target for yourself).  They'll ask you to use it before surgery to help strengthen your lungs and afterward to help prevent pneumonia.  Post surgery you'll be given a number of exercises to do several times a day to prevent blood clots (you do them for the first 4-5 weeks).  At that pre-surgery class they'll also have Bill (the exercise physiologist) measure your metabolic rate.

The time between my insurance approval and the surgery wasn't long (about 3 months) - but it could have been as short as a couple of weeks (for the pre-surgery diet) if I had all the medical clearances Dr Kim required.  I had a number of work and personal commitments I needed to complete and I had trouble getting the cardiac clearance (not due to issues but due to endless freaking tests my cardiologist required).

What I would suggest (if you want to speed it up) is ask Dr Kim's staff about any specific clearances you'll need based on your medical cir****tances and work to have them done soon after you finish the 6 month diet.  Between Dr Kim's staff and my PCP's nurse practitioner they took care of all the insurance stuff - and that part was effort and issue free for me.  Dr Kim's staff will call you to tell you if/when you're approved and they'll pretty much be ready to schedule you then and there.

Anyway, this is a ridiculously long post, but I hope I covered most of what you wanted to know.  If you do have any other questions you can always shoot me a note - I'm happy to answer any that I can.
kangasuz
on 1/30/09 5:00 am - Sanford, FL
Thank you so much! I'm soaking in all t he information (which must be why it's taken a day or two to get back to you!) :)

I called the office yesterday and got some GREAT news, but want your opinion. The insurance clarified that since I started my physician-monitored diet Nov. 5, my last weigh-in is in April, which is one month earlier than I thought it would be! Are your calculations the same? I know it sounds silly asking "how long" six months is, but I can also see how it could be May (with December being the first weigh-in AFTER starting the diet.. Nov was the initial weigh-in.) But she said April!

I just ordered a slew of WLS books to help post-op. (And the remaining pre op).

AH! I'm so excited!
maris_38
on 2/4/09 1:02 am - Orlando, FL
Best way to think of it is 6 appointments specifically to discuss diet/exercise/weight loss.  DO NOT miss any of them, and keep them at the same point in the month (no 6 weeks between appointments).  If you miss any you'll have to start again.

Good luck!
David99
on 2/24/09 4:35 am
Hi, I'm looking into the lap band option and United Health Care. They say it is not covered, how did you get them to cover it.

Thanks
maris_38
on 2/24/09 9:07 am - Orlando, FL
It really depends - United does their "own" insurance, plus they administer the benefits/claims for self-insuring companies (usually really big corporations).  If it's United directly, from what I understand they do cover both band and RNY. 

If you're on a plan that United just administers (which is what I'm on - my company self insures) then the rules are set by your company - not by United.  In the case of my employer they covered both but with a lot of pre-surgery requirements.
Redhaired
on 1/25/09 7:52 pm - Mouseville, FL
Unfortunately according to his office staff, Dr. Kim no longer does the DS.

Red

dalybenitez27
on 1/27/09 3:01 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Doc,

I had my RNY in October of 2005.  Dr Kim and his staff are EXCELLENT.  He is extremely attentive and very thorough.  I honestly can't say enough good things about him.  You would be making an excellent choice by going to him.  I've heard of other people's experience with other dr's and hospitals and Celebration by far exceeds anything I've ever heard.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views