Does EVERYONE get a gastric feeding tube???

lisabelll
on 1/17/09 4:39 am, edited 1/17/09 4:50 am
I had a drainage tube in my left side.  That was irrritating in the beginning but it was removed before I left the hospital (although it was day 8 post op).  I could deal with that pain.  This tube I am talking about is a gastric tube.  I was fed through it and given meds until I could get the feeding up to a 70cc per hour.  Then they checked to see if I had any leaks in the pouch and since I didn't I was allowed to start liquids (even ice chips, I was strict NPO which meant nothing not even ice chips by mouth!!!)  Once they saw I was tolerating the liquids we turned off the feeding tube.

This thing is beyond painful!  It is "migrating" into me.  It pulls so hard into my body it is actually pulling the stitches and tearing me.  So of course the skin hurts too.  I have been using some neosporin and that helps.  I also use an absorbing 4x4 so that helps collect the stuff when it starts to leak.  I am still on pain meds around the clock.  I really think it just might be too tight and that is the whole problem.  I feel like my stomach is going to pull the whole thing in and digest it!

I did know that I was getting this tube but I never heard about others getting it.  I honestly thought it was because I was a revision.  He explained that since I had previous surgery that the stomach may not heal as quickly and could leak.  I NEVER thought it would be this painful.  I mean really, I have heard of people having these for YEARS!!!  I am DYING at less then 2 weeks.  I have a count down to calm myself down and reassure myself that it will be coming out soon.  I will lose it if it doesn't.  I don't do anything but go to the bathroom, and lay in bed.  I did take a quick shower and the ho****er helped with the pain.  This is just crazy how much this hurts.  I mean really, 10 days post op and I am still in bed???  

Thanks for everyone taking the time to reply.  I am going to try draining some of it off and see if that helps.  The skin is REALLY irritated, but it is this horrible pain of the tube pulling into (feels like I fell onto a broom handle and no one will remove it - it is just horrible).  And when it pulls into me it leaks more making that skin that is tearing (and the skin around it) burn even more).

Only 1 day, 17 hrs and 20 minutes until my appt.

ETA: I had open surgery and they repaired my hernia (caused by the original surgery made worse by my 2 subsequent pregnancies).  And I am no longer using the tube, per Dr. instructions.  I am on a post surgery bypass diet, taking it slowly, per dr orders too.
lisabelll
on 1/19/09 7:56 am
YAY!!!!  It was removed today!!!  Ugh!  I am so glad but still in some pain from the hole in my side and the 1/2 inch tears from the stitches pulling in due to the migration of the balloon.

Thanks again for everyone's input.  I am just so happy to have this taken out of me.  Seriously, this thing wasn't supposed to migrate so HARD into my body!  I cannot believe the tears from the stitches.  Dr said that the hole inside my stomach should heal within 24 hrs and the outside within the week.  Fingers crossed 
RavenLunatic
on 2/2/09 3:07 am - Deltona, FL

Uhhhgggg !
That sounds a bit Funky ?? I never heard of a feeding tube with a Bastric proceedure before,
(I did However, have a drain tube for a few days)
To each thier own i suppose. as long as it works !  thats what matters.. All the best !

Randy "RavenLunatic" Cooke
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views