Needing a little help from the Florida Group???

Kim_E.
on 1/5/09 12:47 pm - Clinton, IN

Mainly Lakeland area. 

My grandparents are snow birds, and have a place at Woodall's.  Well, they haven't yet established themselves with a family doc, and now they really need one.   And possibly a heart doc since grandpa has had open heart surgery.

My grandma is in the hospital with some unknown issues.  Possibly heart blockage / stroke?? Not really sure. But the hospital "assigned" them a doc that grandpa doesn't feel comfortable with since he didn't come to see grandma today as of 11:30pm.  He was in the room across the way, but when grandpa asked the nurse after 1/2 hour when he would be in to see grandma, she said he had left for the evening.  He did ask that he be called, but has heard nothing.  So, they don't know the result of the doppler, cat scan, or other tests.  And my poor 72 year old grandpa is sitting there into the wee hours worrying and waiting.   Also, the had orginally ordered an echo and additional test for today that have not been done today as schedule.  Unknown reason the new nurse grandmas isn't as good as their first.  And the sad thing is my grandparents won't complain because grandpa is sacred the nurses will take it out on grandma which happened at a previous hospital stay in Indiana. 

My grandparents will need someone who will spend time with them to explain things.  So a good bedside manner is a must.  Obviously, someone who knows what they are doing, but also knows enough to know when they need to pass a situation along.

Also, any suggestions about Lakeland Hospital would be great.  I would love to be there, but I just cannot make arrangements for my children.  So any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my long winded request for help.

Best wishes,

Kim

Redhaired
on 1/5/09 10:17 pm - Mouseville, FL
Kim-
I wish I could help with some recommendations but don't have a clue about docs in Lakeland.  But what I would suggest is that perhaps you could call a patient advocate at the hospital and ask them to provide a little support to your Grandfather.  They can help him understand the processes and even help communicate with the hospital staff. 

I hope your Grandmother is ok.  Your family will be in my prayers.

Red

Kim_E.
on 1/5/09 10:44 pm - Clinton, IN
thanks so much.  I did contact Social Services for a little help. So we will see.

Kim

native2u
on 1/6/09 5:35 am - Merritt Island, FL
I have no idea either, as I live on the East Coast of Florida.....Cocoa Beach area.

I do know that I would call and complain (for your Grandpa) about the treatment of the doctor. In Lakeland and around the surrounding area, there are a TON of retired people/couples. If the doctor that is seeing (in this case, not seeing) your Grandma isn't actually showing up and speaking to her or your Grandpa....I'd complain. When you call the Hospital in Lakeland, ask to speak to the Supervisor of doctors. Chances are he is contracted into that hospital and they might just have a little talk with him.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views