job/insurance

brezal_78
on 12/21/08 4:25 am - ME
VSG on 12/23/13
What insurance companies in Fla cover WLS?  I lost my job and on the hunt for a new one. I had UHC but they didn't cover WLS.
sandyfeets
on 12/21/08 9:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
Usually it's not the insurance company---but your EMPLOYER that buys the policy.
Many employers do NOT buy the WLS rider to the corporate policy, since it costs so much.

JUNEA1948
on 12/22/08 10:40 pm - FL
I work for the State of Florida and have AvMed and it covered my RNY, but you must follow all the components listed.  The biggest being 6 months of doctor supervised dieting.  Good luck and God Bless.  Merry Christmas

June Ann

brezal_78
on 12/22/08 11:24 pm - ME
VSG on 12/23/13
I have been looking for a job with the state.  Everyday I am on the jobs.myflorida.com site.  Honeslty, the 6 months of doctor supervised dieting sounds so easy.

Happy Holidays!!
Ruth S.
on 12/23/08 7:20 am - Orlando, FL
I agree with the poster above..who says it's the EMPLOYER who buys the rider. We had UHC back 4 yrs ago and I was able to get the surgery done and only had a $500 copay and after I used it they took it off so anyone in 2005 could not due the surgery. So it depends on the policy you buy. Best of luck to you.
Ruthy
Tea
on 12/24/08 3:46 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
I know some people who work for the State that does not have wls covered, there insurance company is BCBS. It all depends on the plan. From what I gathered you should check with the following placed.

Home Depot
Costco's
Starbucks

These are the only three I can think of right now.

HW 311 - (pre opt liq diet 272) - SW 264 - CW 196- GW 150

Lovin my
SLEEVE

wd4oay
on 1/1/09 6:41 pm - Miami, FL
Actually BCBS-FL State Employees PPO just started covering WLS again (they had stopped a few years back).  I just had RNY surgery in November and it was covered 100%.

Good Luck!

Chris V.
Joanne C.
on 12/28/08 12:42 pm - Stuart, FL
Just a confirmation  -  it definately depends on the policy the employer chooses.  My RNY was 12/15 (covered by UHC) - my employer's corp office is in Sunrise, FL

Good luck w/job hunt.  Many plans won't cover "pre-existing conditions" for a specified time period.
ndspelman
on 1/3/09 8:06 am - FL
i work for the state of fl. i have the bcbs state ppo. i didnt have to go through 6 months of nothing. i went to a seminar on 9/18. surgeon consult on 9/18. surgery date 11/19. and wouldve been sooner, but i had to get the psych eval and nut visit and those required appts. lol.
i think its a mixture of everything. your employer's plan, how long you been on the policy-how long u been on your job, and whats more important that insurance: your surgeon's office. Dr. Delacruz office had me approved 4 days after my psych eval. which was 2 weeks after my surgeon's consult. My total out of pocket $3Gs. worth every dollar!!!
stormy D.
on 1/4/09 1:12 am - spring hill, FL
Hi,
I live in Spring Hill too. I was recently approved through Cigna PPO. My surgery date is scheduled for 1/26. I would be happy to compare notes or give you any info that could help. PM me if you would like.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views