PCP thinks WLS not necessary

lighterbytheday
on 11/18/08 1:58 am
My friend lives in the Ft Walton Beach area. He had a consult with his PCP today regarding LapBand. He is early 30's, BMI 39.5, high blood pressure, and a history of death at age 40 in his family.
His PCP says WLS not necessary. He will treat his high blood pressure with drugs and he should walk 1 1/2 hrs a day.
HELP!
Can he find a WL surgeon who will file papers with his insurance company?? His insurance covers this surgery. Or does he need his PCP's referral?
Redhaired
on 11/18/08 3:27 am - Mouseville, FL
It depends on his insurance whether or not he needs a referral from the PCP.  However, most surgeons want to know that their patients have a good support system and that includes the PCP.  Is it possible for him to get another PCP.

Red

Muukie917
on 11/18/08 5:16 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
sadly you might have to get a new PCP, and you might want to anyways. You want someone that listens and supports you... that is how I feel at least
    Life should not be measured by the numbers of breathe we take but by                      the moments that take our breathe away....      
                                   PROUD WIFE OF AN US AIRMAN

KimM.
on 11/19/08 12:10 am
He'll most likely need to get a new PCP, as the majority of Insurance companies require a letter of medical necessity from a PCP.

Many people can lost weight and correct co-morbities through nutrition and exercise -- then there's the rest of us.  If his doctor fails to understand his needs and condition, he should probably find another PCP anyway.
lighterbytheday
on 11/19/08 1:19 am
Does anyone have suggestions as to PCPs in the Ft Walton beach area who are supportive of WLS?  I am not sure which insurance he has but I think it might be UHC.
Redhaired
on 11/19/08 5:06 am - Mouseville, FL
You might try reposting this message in a different thread and see if you get more responses.

Red

jonelle32514
on 11/30/08 10:04 am - Pensacola, FL
I actually had my wls without having a pcp.  My pcp did not recommend wls because he did not believe in it.  I have tricare insurance, so I switched to tricare prime where I did not need a referral.  I went to a consult with my wls surgeon and was approved by my insurance. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

shoegirl1023
on 12/1/08 1:14 am - Solon, OH
Sounds like his doctor has shares with the drug companies!!!  

Your friends needs to switch doctor's ASAP.

Lot's of luck to him  

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views