if you are considering WLS please read..

KimM.
on 11/4/08 6:37 am
But these posts don't deal with wls in general -- they are the experiences of those who've had RNY.  While there are some similarities between surgeries, i.e. the need for proper nutrition, exercise and follow-up -- different surgeries bring different experiences, and the experiences simply within one specific procedure will be different from person to person.

With the DS (duodenal switch), there's no pouch, so there's no dumping.  There's no need to eat pea-sized bites.  There's no sugar or fat restriction.  Therre's no blind pouch.

There are definitely life changes for those who have wls, but the vast majority of them are positive.  But when compared to co-morbitities and the risk of early death from obesity, wls can be an excellent choice.
luvsexytrstno1
on 11/4/08 6:53 am - Anchorage, AK
If you read my post about the hot wings then you will notice that I wrote that I am very greatful that I had my surgery and that I am most greatful that I now have energy and am healthy enough to play with my little girl.  My surgeon was exceptional in his honesty and in his follow up care.  I now live in Alaska and work in healthcare and encounter physicians and post ops who have NEVER been educated whatsoever about vitamins, lifestyle changes, etc.  It happens, it is scary but it does happen more than you think.  The nurse that I mention in that post works with me in a hospital where WLS is preformed and where she is sometimes assigned fresh wls post ops and she is that uneducated about it.  My surgeon told us that all of us would test the limits eventually.  I sat there in my pre surgical state thinking, "Well I won't!  No not me!"  And here I am a little over a year and a half later and yes, indeed I have eaten things that I knew I shouldn't.  I don't do it regularly or even on purpose (one of my worst dumps was on a protein shake from a gym) but I do.  No one is so diciplined or restictive with their diet that they haven't dumped or had a bad food reaction, at least no one that I have ever encountered.  I posted this so people can be aware that this surgery does require a lifestyle change.  you would be surprised how many people don't realize that.
Redhaired
on 11/5/08 1:32 am - Mouseville, FL
Life is indeed grand Kim.

Red

Ruth S.
on 11/4/08 12:09 pm - Orlando, FL
The poster above is correct that different surgeries and people's reactions is different. For example I have had a few wings and be fine...but on another ocassion  I could have the same wings and get sick.  AND believe me I've been deathly ill from dumping so yes, this is all possible.. Im 4 years out and having or trying something new that I haven't had can give me a bad or good reaction....it all depends....this is the punishment we were warned about.  It's all part of the process.  Best of luck to you. Take it one day at a time.
Ruth S.
Stephanie S.
on 11/8/08 1:27 pm - Wellington, FL
Exactly! I didn't have any dumping problems until I was pregnant with my first post-op baby. I did that stupid glucola drink. The 1 hour was ok, but I failed it. I, stupidly, did as the OB said and did the 3 hour. I passed it, but only after dumping very badly. No, I didn't pass out, nor have I ever done so. But that one incident told me not to drink that again. I can tolerate sugar as well as the "taboo" items pretty well. Not everyone is the same WRT this surgery, specifically RNY.

Davey 3/18/01
Jocelyn 10/24/06
Andy 6/30/08

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr