Dr. Kim/Florida Hospital Celebration

Annie Q.
on 11/9/08 8:40 am - Ocoee, FL
Hi Kangasuz!

I'm having lapband surgery with Dr. Kim on December 3rd, and have run the course of pretty much anything you can think of.

Phase 1 of the diet my seem a little rough at first, but it really wasn't that hard at all.  The two big things for me were cutting out the sugar and starch, but I made the mental decision that I had to make that change and cut back.  My husband is doing the diet with me, and we eat a LOT of veggies, and do a LOT of stir fry.... what we used to do in meat, we do in veggie, and it has been very satisfying.  I have lost about 40lbs, pre-surgery on phase 1...and I started with a BMI of 50.  I was told that I could not gain any weight, but that I should try to lose, and that most people don't stick to Phase 1....which was discouraging to hear because of my lack of willpower, but I'm so proud of myself to be 40lbs down on a diet no one ever sticks to.

I'm nervous about Phase 2, as it's fully liquid, but, I know I can do it.  I start that in a week, and  the office said that once you get on that diet, you usually lose 20 - 30lbs.  I'm hoping for the same - 60 - 70lbs pre-surgery would be awesome!

I wish you the best in your search, and can tell you that I am incredibly comfortable with Dr. Kim.

May your journey be quick and healthy....

Annie =)
kangasuz
on 11/9/08 11:16 pm - Sanford, FL
Hi, Annie. Thanks for your post. How long have you been on Phase I? I'll be on the six-month doctor diet until May and will then submit for insurance approval, which according to the office, only takes a few days (or at least that's the tendency of my carrier). I'd like to schedule surgery as soon as possible after that (say, end of June - early July), but I'm worried I'll have to be on a "pre-op" diet for an extended period of time.

How long are Phases I and II? How long ago did you schedule your surgery?

Also, did you have to have a sleep study?

I wish I could zip ahead six months and be ready now!

Suzi
L M
on 11/17/08 7:46 pm - MS
Dr. Kim did my surgery 6 years ago in Mississippi. I love him!
kangasuz
on 11/17/08 11:04 pm - Sanford, FL
Awesome. What is his pre-op protocol? I'm on the six-month supervised diet with my PCP right now, so I  haven't learned any specifics as far as whether he requires a pre-op diet (or rather, how long he requires one). One of his staff members said I may be required to lose weight before surgery, but I don't know how much and if that will delay the surgery.

What do you think?

Also, six  years! How are y ou doing? Have you maintained your weight loss?

Thanks!

suzi
L M
on 11/22/08 12:18 pm - MS

I did real good the first 3 years, down to goal at one year and stayed same for next 2 years. Then I got pregnant and since the baby I have been up 40 pounds from goal. I really haven't taken the time to continue exercising. Good luck.

suesue53
on 11/24/08 9:11 pm - Central Florida, FL
Hi I had the VSG with Dr. Kim on Oct. 15, 2007. He and his staff have been great. He is very supportive and if you have a problem he gets back to you right away, even on the weekend. I have lost 86 lbs. His team includes an exercise physiologist (I never saw him because of my schedule), a nutritionist, a psychologist (who runs a support group for persons who are a year out). The hospital was great and I healed without any complications. Good luck!!

I noticed that you mentioned about a six month diet. I don't know about your insurance but some insurance companies will not approve the weight loss surgery if you lose more than 10% of your weight during the six month physician assisted diet. The rationale from the insurance companies perspective is if you can lose 10% with the diet alone then you can lose the rest by of the weight without surgery. The six month diet for most companies does not have to do with you losing weight to be in better shape for the surgery, it is to decide if you are eligible for the surgery in other words you aren't capable of losing weight by diet alone. I learned this at a informational session that I went to at another hospital. Your insurance may be different but I would make sure. Susan

dave_s
on 12/26/08 11:17 am - Lake Mary, FL
I've been curious about Dr. Kim as well, seems my regular Dr recommends him.  A few years back I nearly had RNY with Overcash but chickened out.  I'm glad I did, because now I'm ready for the VSG and finally on January 1st my insurance changes and they claim it will be covered.  I double and triple checked before switching insurance.
Kristen H.
on 12/28/08 8:51 am - Orlando, FL
I had surgery with Dr Kim over four years ago. I also worked for him for three years - wish that I could work with him again! He is a remarkable man, and an excellent surgeon. You would be in excellent hands.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr