Morton Plant Mease Hospital/Dr. Gonzalvo

kangasuz
on 10/28/08 9:59 am - Sanford, FL
Hi. I've just made the decision to move forward with a gastric bypass (Roux-en-Y). I'm in the process of reseaching surgeons in my insurance network. Has anyone had any experience with surgeons at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, FL? One doctor's name is Dr. Gonzalvo.

I live in Orlando, but my insurance doesn't cover surgeons at Orlando Regional or Florida Hospital. 

Any input is appreciated.

Also, what can I do while I'm biding time doing my required six-month diet? (Yes, I'm that far away from surgery).

Thanks!
Michael Eak
on 10/28/08 5:05 pm - Largo, FL
What Insurance do you have?
If it's through a Medicare Pan, you'll need to use a Surgeon who has the
"Center of Excellence Award".
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
kangasuz
on 10/30/08 3:43 am - Sanford, FL
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. They normally don't cover bariatric surgery, but my employer elected to have it covered as part of our benefits (yay!).
JUNEA1948
on 10/28/08 9:40 pm - FL
I had Dr Gordon in Clearwater who is affiliated with Morton Plant Hospital.  My insurance required a hospital of excellence, but accepted Morton Plant.  Dr Gordon and his staff are great.  Dr Gonzalvo is also with him.  My stay at Morton Plant was great and everyone was wonderful.  Good luck in your adventure.

God Bless

June Ann

kangasuz
on 10/30/08 3:41 am - Sanford, FL
That's good to hear. Since I posted my message, I went to an info session at Florida Hospital @ Celebration and have decided to have my surgery there. They're a Center of Excellence and they're also who my primary physician will refer me to!
kangasuz
on 10/30/08 3:46 am - Sanford, FL
That's good to hear. I'm glad it went so well for you. Since I last posted a message, I attended an info session at Florida Hospital Celebration and have decided to have my surgery there. It's a Center of Excellence and it's also the only place my primary physician will refer me to! This journey seems long, but I'm hoping the next six-eight months (diet and approval process) will fly by).
Susan G.
on 10/31/08 3:49 am - Boynton Beach, FL
I used Dr. Gordon and I think the Dr you mentioned is in his office.  I had my surgery at Morton Plant.  No complaints. Dr. Gordon in in Largo and also goes to Dunedin Hospital, His phone number is 727-586-3751.   Good Luck

Susan G.
Marianne C.
on 11/5/08 5:02 am - Hudson, FL
Dr. Gonzalvo was my surgeon at Morton Plant in Clearwater in August of 2007.  I think the world of Dr. Gonzalvo. He is a very caring and pro active doctor who is very up to date on all the latest in the field of weight loss surgery. I have had the most positive experiences with he AND his staff over the course of the last year and a half and highly recommend him. Morton Plant Hospital was ok. They were very under staffed and not able to meet some of my needs. Nothing life threatening but very uncomfortable and embarrasing.  I had a few situations where I needed assistance and there was no one available. That, I'm afraid is the way of the world now and will not be any different at any other hospital. Just make sure you have friends or family there to help you.

Marianne C.
Obesity Help Support Group Leader for Pasco and Hernando County

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views