BCBS insurance

caro.lina10
on 10/5/08 4:48 pm - Miami, FL
 Hi, I am fairly new to the site. I went for the bariatric orientation and have an appt at the cleveland clinic weston.I have BCBS ppo federeal employee, according to the insurance woman i only have to show 5 years of obesity and have a BMI of over 35. Does anyone know if it is really that simple? I'm very excited and just wonder what has to be done for insurance to approve. thanks and God Bless You, Carol!
wd4oay
on 10/6/08 2:57 pm - Miami, FL
Good luck!  I have BCBS Florida Employee's PPO and it only took a couple of months to get through all the procedures and get approved.  A letter from my Primary Care Physician (who is also my cardiologist), a vist to a dietician/nutritionist, a consult with a psychologist, and copies of my medical records.  Once all that was done it took insurance a week to approve me.  A friend of mine with the same insurance got his approval in 3 days.  My surgery (RNY) is scheduled for Nov. 10th.  All I have to do now is a pre-op class and labs and a final approval from my primary care physician once he gets a copy of the final labs.

Chris
cj_in_fl
on 10/21/08 11:08 am - sebastian, FL
Hi Chris,
My name is Christine, and I just stumbled on this site through a Yahoo search.  I am a state employee in FL and I also have BCBS insurance.  I'm 5'9" and I weigh 250 now.  I am going to be 40 in a few months... I have been fat all my life and I have tried almost everything to lose weight.  Nothing works.  I am thinking maybe surgery could help me lose some of this weight so I can get down to a more normal weight.  I "should" lose 100 lbs but I would be so happy with 50.  I've had back surgery already, I have really weak legs and zero endurance.  I was told by my dr (a gen practitioner) that I can't get surgery through my insurance.  

How did you find out about being eligible or not?  I was thinking that Lap Band would be best... i'd be willing to do gastric bypass too but have heard less problems happen with lap band.  

How do you find out about a dr?  What kind should I see first?  I would LOVE a reply if you can... thank you!

missconduct
on 10/7/08 8:46 am - Miami Lakes, FL
Hi Carol!

I had my gastric bypass RnY at the Cleveland Clinic of Weston two years ago. Dr. Rosenthal performed it(who are you going with? Dr. Rosenthal or Dr. Szomstein?) At the time I was under my father's insurance which coincidentally happened to be BCBS PPO federal, it was SO easy getting approved, the nurse actually told me I was lucky to have that particular insurance. I believe they called me telling me I was approved in less than a week(two or three days tops). My BMI was over 35 but not incredibly high and I only really had high blood pressure and high cholesterol(no sleep apnea, diabetes or any of the other things other insurance require to consider you for surgery). My process from the orientation to the day of surgery was actually really fast(three/four months...and I might be exagerating...this was two years ago lol).

If you'd like to know anything else, don't hesitate to contact me. I'd love to hear how everything goes for you. I wish you the best of luck!
www.twitter.com/soulbypass - follow my rants & raves

"The groundwork for all happiness is good health" - Leigh Hunt

"A healthy body is a guest-chamber for the soul; a sick body is a prison" - Francis Bacon.

He who cures a disease may be the skillfullest, but he that prevents it is the safest physician.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views