Cigna Questions

serenity42
on 10/1/08 2:10 am - Winter Garden, FL
Hi, I am in the process of the 6 month supervised weight loss with my primary doctor. I have not lost much (12 pounds) in 3 months. My questions is does Cigna expect a certain amount of weight loss to get an approval? Any information regarding Cigna would great be appreciated!!!
Kelly C.
on 10/1/08 1:57 pm - Ocoee, FL
I have Cigna and at the end of my six months, I actually weighed 2 pounds more than at the begining.  I am pretty sure that my 15 years of documented failed dieting attempts helped in my approval.  I was approved almost two weeks after my paperwork was submitted.  I called them every two days and they were super nice about it.  Best of luck to you!

Jeremiah 29:11-For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

crystal220
on 10/25/08 3:59 pm
Hi, I am a new comer on the baords and to the site for that matter. I am in the beginning of my WLS process. I too, must go through the six weeks process regarding tracking of weight gain and failing at weight loss even with assistance in meds. However, I am reading the forum and read Kelly C response to another person and though that was so touching and encouraging for someone in our shoes.

Thank you and congratulations on your success,
latinasoi
on 10/4/08 12:30 pm, edited 10/4/08 12:32 pm - Orlando, FL
Hello, I am also waiting on approval from Cigna, but mine would be a revision.  So I think the guidelines are different, I will keep you posted. Good luck on your Journey.

Annette, Orlando, FL
crystal220
on 11/1/08 1:56 am
Thank you kindly for your encouraging words. Which rx did you have?If you dont mind me asking, what / why are you doing a revision?

I am new and this will be the first time I have had any procedure of any sort in my life...so I am researching and very curious to hear from the experience for knowledge and notes for this journey.
wandasjourney
on 10/7/08 1:26 pm
make sure that all your doctor visits/notes contain your weight, vital signs, what you have attempted in the way of a diet and exercise and a recommendation for continued diet/exercise, even if all it says is continue current "whatever"diet/exercise. as long as all your history is documented, the weight loss during the 6 month supervision isn't really the issue, its a matter of the attempt at weight loss in a supervised setting. check with your doctors nurse to make sure that the notes are appropriate thus far, they can go back and add/correct information before you have it sent for approval. I had all my notes and letter of recommendation sent to me first, then I sent them to my surgeon.  you also have to have a visit each and every month or cigna can tell you to start over, my policy states something like no lapse in care. good luck with your journey.
crystal220
on 11/1/08 2:07 am
Thank you! That in depth information is exactly what I needed. This is a new process for all who is just beginning the journey but it seems from all the comments that it's worth it. I know six months seem long to me but in actuality it is right around the corner. I actually have bcbsfl and this what they are asking for.

Thank you again. I always have tons of questions for the experience.

Which WLS did you have? How is your progress?
wandasjourney
on 11/3/08 10:01 am

You are so welcome!
I had RNY 4/29/08, have lost 52.5 lbs so far, not as fast as i'd imagined, but plugging away and far better than I ever would have done on my own. I'm living and moving like I've not been able to do in many years!!
good luck, keep in touch
wanda

BigDogRNY2008
on 10/25/08 10:48 am, edited 10/26/08 10:29 am - Jacksonville Beach, FL
I have Cigna and had no issues with getting approval. As long as there is sufficent documentation of several years of weight issues and that you have tried every other way to lose weight it should not be an issue for you. It took them about a week to approve it. But yes you do need the 6 months of supervision. I don't think the amount of weight lost during that time matters to Cigna at all. Good luck to you!!!
JeannePS
on 10/25/08 7:37 pm - Jasper, GA
Hi,
I got approved through Cigna 3 years ago after my 2nd attempt at it.  The first time I didn't submit a 6 month diet, just thought all my other "stuff" would do it.  The 2nd time I told my doctor from the beginning "this is crap" we just have to sit here once a month for 6 months and you write in my chart!  He laughed, and did it.  He agreed it was "crap" and was very supportive of my decision to have the surgery so he helped me.  I didn't lose a lb in the 6 months.  Who knows if they even read his notes, but I got approved and my 3rd anniversary was 2 weeks ago! 

I wish you well, stay focused, stay determined and never give up on yourself!  Good luck! Jeanne

Much  love  from Georgia!! 
Jeanne   
317 highest/289.5 surgery day/145 goal-reached goal in Oct 2006-165 now  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr