Just need to vent.

thafatchick
on 9/30/08 12:21 pm
Hi y'all.  I'm sorry but I need to vent.  I am a self pay patient and I scheduled my surgery last month for Oct. 7th.  Well, I did not have any pre-testing done and needed to rush all over for tests and such.  I also, like many US citizens, have no health insurance.  I do, however, have enough for the wls.  Anyways, since I didn't have insurance,I had no PCP and needed to get one in a hurry.  I selected a woman from a local health group here and started my journey.  I'm sure she is very smart and well educated.  Well, during the visit i told her my needs and all my personal medical stuff.  She wanted me to try a low (southbeach) diet first.  I have tried that but I stupidly said I love potatoes and it is always hard to give them up.   She put that in the report/record and recommened that I be monitored for 6 mos for diet and HBP meds & levels.  That means no clearance.  I am so upset about this.  I was even thinking about going to another doctor but I don't think I have time.  The surgeon's office wants all my stuff like last week and here I am sulking.  Not to mention i did the psych eval (computer test) a few days ago and I am not to sure about that.  Ughhhhhh, I could just cry.    Did i mention the surgery is out of state (I'm in TX surgeon is there) due to costs?  This is a real problem!!!!  And it is probably making my blood pressure go up more, even on meds.
Well thanks for listening.

ThaFatChick
Ed W.
on 9/30/08 9:37 pm, edited 10/1/08 4:22 am - Casselberry, FL
Be patient, you are not the first to suffer delays. I see many having to take the long road on this board. The great news is that you are on your way and have nothing but good things to look forward to. Good luck on your journey,

Ed

HIghest Weight - 287 /Surgery Weight - 278  /Curent Weight - 150/Goal - 154 

tommygirl
on 10/2/08 8:32 am
I know what you are going through. I lived in Pa. all my life and when I decide I wanted the gastric by pass surgery my insurance company said no try weigh****chers for 6 months. Well I said to my hubby lets retire and move to another state. We moved in April 2007 and I went to a dr. here in Va. and she said go and set an appointment with the gastric by pass surgeon so I did. This in November of 2007. I had my psych eval on the computet then talk to the shrink for a few minutes and she approved that I was fit mentally to have the surgery. Next I visited the surgeon and he said he was sending everything to the insurance company and then I got a call on Dec. 2007 and was approve for the surgery. I didn't  have to do any weigh****chers or any diet. I am so glad that I moved to Va. or I would still be heavy. Every state is different. I had my surgery on Feb. 18, 2008 and started off at 266 and now 71/2 months post op I am down to 150 lbs. So don't give up keep trying and  if you are self pay I don't know why they are given you such a hard time. My surgeon is Dr. Thomas Clark of Newport News, Va.  I know he does self pay for his patients.
Good Luck and keep me posted
Tomygirl from Newport News, Va
robin M.
on 10/4/08 9:22 am - Dublin, GA
I think you said you were in Texas but willing to travel.  My surgeon does out of state patients (I was out of state for him) but can't say for sure if he does self-pay or not.  I would think so since most doctor's will take cash (smile) and love to not have to fight with an insurance company.

My surgeon didn't require anything from my PCP.  In fact, I made one visit to him pre-op and that was to meet with him to discuss the surgery, him to weigh me and give my medical history.  He ordered for me to have a heart stress test pre-surgery.  That was it....nothing else required until the day before surgery when I had to meet with the nut.  Since I was coming in from out of town, I had to be there the day before surgery anyway, so it really worked well.

I had a choice on whether to go back to him to get my staples out or I could have had someone local do it for me.

If you are interested in contacting his office, he is located in Ocala, Florida and is Dr. Wm. Todd Overcash.  He doesn't have the best bedside manner and is somewhat brusque but he has a great record...having done over 1200 RNYs and works out of a Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery (Munroe Regional, also in Ocala).

It may be worth changing surgeons and go with one that doesn't make you go through all the hoops - especially since you are self-pay.

Good luck!

Robin

Highest Weight: 220   1st Appt Weight: 205   Surgery Weight: 192   Post Surgery : 201  Current Weight:  136       Dr Goal Weight:  140     My Goal Weight:  125
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views