Depression

kimtindall
on 9/29/08 8:08 am - Jacksonville, FL
I am about 14 months out and have been really struggling with some depression lately.  I dont know why because I have a wonderful home life, loving supportative family and a great job.  Is anyone else going through this?  I just dont understand it...I have never had this type of problem before and was wondering if it has anything to do with the whole surgery journey.  Thanks!

Kim 

nicole W.
on 9/29/08 11:28 am - Bismarck, ND
I'm 15 months out now. I think some of it may be due to the fact that all of the excitement from the beginning of surgery is wearing off. At first you are so focused on getting the surgery done, then the pounds start falling off. Pretty soon you are getting compliments on how good you look, and you are fitting into clothes you never knew possible. Then after awhile, people get used to the "new" you, and the forget what you used to look like. You get a real feel of what daily vitamins and supplements really mean, and bam, it isn't exciting anymore, it is part of life. Besides that, if you watch tv at all these days, you can't help but feel down, and the days are getting shorter. Add in the fact that if you had depression pre op, you are predisposed, and bam, you feel depressed. Not sure if any of that applies to you, but for me it seems to make sense. Plus loosing my job this week didn't help lol. Hope things start to feel better. If not, vent away here, or find a support group, I know that helps me.
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
kimtindall
on 9/29/08 6:11 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Thank you for your response.  I was beginning to feel lost.  I will be taking this up with my PCP next week.  Everything that you have said makes A LOT of sense to me.  So sorry to hear about the job loss.  I hope that things turn around for you really quick. 

Kim 

Michael Eak
on 9/29/08 5:51 pm - Largo, FL
If as most have too, you had to get an pysch evaul before your surgery. Try going for your post-op evaluation now.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Redhaired
on 9/30/08 5:35 am - Mouseville, FL
Remember depression is many times caused by chemical imbalances not just life cir****tances.  Talk to your PCP but to get a really good assessment you are going to need to see a psychiatrist.  Rapid weight loss releases all sorts of hormones and chemicals in the body so it would make sense that you might need at least some short term meds.

Good luck.

Red

Ed W.
on 9/30/08 9:39 pm - Casselberry, FL
Kim,
I am not thsat far out yet, but I too have my moments of depression and have been battling it for a couple of years. You have been very successful in your weight loss, be proud of yourself. You look GREAT!

Ed

HIghest Weight - 287 /Surgery Weight - 278  /Curent Weight - 150/Goal - 154 

kimtindall
on 10/1/08 5:29 am - Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Ed!  You will get there, no worry!  This surgery was the greatest gift ever given to me, other than my family!  I would not be where I am now if it werent for this journey.  It still amazes me to think that I am half the woman that I used to be.  LOLOL 

Kim 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views