Eglin AFB/Hurlburt Field

Angela K.
on 9/13/08 10:57 pm - Mary Esther, FL
Is anyone on this board stationed at Hurlburt Field or Eglin AFB? 

Angela
Proud Air Force Wife and SAHM
Highest 282/Pre-Op 251/Current 143/My Goal 150/Doctor's Goal 137

Patty.W
on 9/14/08 3:58 am
Well, I'm not active duty but I just medically retired as a civilian from Hurlburt, also worked at Eglin.  Did you have questions?

Patty

Angela K.
on 9/14/08 4:01 am - Mary Esther, FL
Hi!  Thanks for replying.  My husband found out last week that we will be stationed at Hurlburt after his 15 month assignment to Turkey.  I'm trying to find information about the local area specifically about housing and what areas to avoid.  I know it's still early but we are really excited about this assignment as this is the closest to home we have ever been in his career.  I've heard the traffic there is terrible too.  Could you give me any pointers about the area?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Angela
Proud Air Force Wife and SAHM
Highest 282/Pre-Op 251/Current 143/My Goal 150/Doctor's Goal 137

Patty.W
on 9/15/08 12:26 am
It's a nice area, you'll like it.

The traffic on Hwy 98 is horrible in the morning heading east and if there is an accident, you can sit for hours. 

What career field is hubby in?  I just medically retired.  I was the wing commander's secretary.  I sure miss it.

Housing is affordable and right now is a buyer's market.  Most people who work at Hurlburt live in Navarre.  Though many people live in Crestview or Niceville and make the drive.  I made a 1 hour drive each way (I live in Pace).  Depending on where you live, your kids will go to the Okaloosa County schools or the Santa Rosa County schools, I think you can check both on line and both have a good reputation.

A good newspaper to check out is the NW Florida Daily News  http://www.nwfdailynews.com/.  Also, here is the website for the base and you can access the base newspaper "Commando" through it.  http://www2.hurlburt.af.mil/ 

Hurlburt is a great base, there's a lot of great people there and lots to do.

Let me know what else I can help with.

Patty 

brenbrit58
on 9/14/08 7:15 am - Milton, FL
Eglin and Hurlbert AFB's are really nice. The surrounding area is very busy, but  it's like most large millitary areas. Housing is at a premium for most families that move into the area. I would look through the Pensacola News Journal on line to get an idea about what is available and call a few local realtors to ask about rentals etc. I'm not sure about housing and how long the wait is to get in, but I do know there is some close to Hurlbert Field area. You might want to see if there is a wives club at your new command and see if you can contact some of them to help you out too.
Good luck
Brenda

Kristen H.
on 9/14/08 7:44 am - Orlando, FL
My husband retired after his tour at Hurlburt. My grandfather retired from the USAF at Eglin, so we knew a lot about the area. Both bases are very nice. I grew up in southern California so I don't think that the traffic is a big deal. I think that you will like it very much.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
-Mari-
on 9/21/08 7:39 am
You could call the Eglin Family Support center, may be renamed Airman and Family Readiness Center or the Family Services Center. They should be able to give you a brochure on the base and any info you  need. Also, your local support./services center can do the same.
Good luck.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views