Newbie!

PMSmama
on 9/10/08 6:28 am
Hi All,

After 6 years of wanting WLS I've finally got the big OK from my hubby to go through with it. Six years ago I was looking at the R/Y, but now I've decided to do the lap band procedure. I feel that there is now a light at the end of the tunnel and the monkey has climbed off my back!! I know I have work ahead of me and I'm so ready to get started.

Is there any advice out there for those who have already done the surgery? I'm deciding between 2 doctors: Dr. Perez in Ft. Lauderdale and Dr. Wizman in Margate.

Thanks in advance!
Tea
on 9/10/08 1:42 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
Congrats ......... thats awesome. I haven't really heard anything about Dr. Perez, but I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Wizman. Are you self pay or through insurance?

Tea

HW 311 - (pre opt liq diet 272) - SW 264 - CW 196- GW 150

Lovin my
SLEEVE

PMSmama
on 9/10/08 10:15 pm
Thanks for the reply ladies!!

Dr. Perez is checking insurance as we speak. If you haven't heard of Dr. Perez, then I'm sure you've heard about his partner Dr. Marama. He was my original DR 6 years ago and I trust him and the hospital with all my heart. Dr. Wizman is much closer to me and my friend who's a nurse highly recommended him, plus she had the banding and has been highly successful so far.

So, I feel I'm in good shape with 2 of the best DR's in my area. It now all depends on insurance and coverage. I'm ready to pay out of pocket if necessary, so at this point I can go either way.

BTW - does anyone know what the going rate is for self-pay and what it covers? I've seen several prices, so I'm not sure what is a reasonable charge.

-Robin (PMSmama)
KimM.
on 9/11/08 1:20 am
That's great.  I'm interested, though.  Why did you choose the lap band?  Many people find success with this procedure but overall it has the least effective longterm results.  I'd be curious to know what guided your decision.

Good luck with your journey.   I hope you find great success!
PMSmama
on 9/11/08 4:47 am
Hi Kim,

I choose the lap band for a few reasons:

1. Have 3 friends who  had the R/Y 3-5 years ago and all are having major problems and all went to different doctors - 1 even gaining most of the weight back.

2. The thougfht of "rearranging" my insides scares me

3. Two close freinds had the lap-band and are doing fantastic. Plus, it's adjustable as well as removable and the procedure is laproscopic.

I feel strongly that any WLS procedure someone decides to do is just a TOOL to lose weight. And, anyone can have negative effects if they don't follow the rules. For me, the lap band makes sense, yet not nesessarily for the other guy.

What procedure are you looking at? Do you already have a surgery date?

Good luck to you too! Keep me posted on your journey!
KimM.
on 9/12/08 4:24 am
You're right about the RNY having troublesome longterm effects, though many people do very well with it and I don't mean to put it down.  It's just that on either end of the RNY are the DS and the lap band.  While the DS has much better longterm results, the lap band has the least effective longterm results and some serious complications such as erosion and slippage.  But again, many people do very well with it. 

DS (the procedure I'm gearing up for) is optimum (but not exclusively reserved for) people with a higher BMI (>50).  It's restrictive, like the lap band and RNY, but it has a malabsorbative component (the RNY does, too, it's just to a lesser degree).  As someone who knows she can outsmart herself and defeat and small stomach, the malabsoprtion will be key for me.  The DS is, as at least one study calls it, the Platinum Standard in weight loss.

it's a heavy duty surgery, though, no argument there.  But I've struggled with weight my entire life, and struggeld actively.  I want something that I know will work, hands down.  And I want to do it only once.  I look at this as the heftiest tool in the artillery.

But that's me.  If you think the band is right for you -- and it well could be -- I only suggest you do your research and find a reputable and thorough doctor.  Congratulations on taking a proactive step in regaining health and freedom.  I think you'll find tons of good information and people on this site.  No matter what path we're taking to get there, we're all headed in the right direction!
PMSmama
on 9/13/08 1:34 am
Thanks Kim for your post. BTW - what is DS? Is that the sleeve?
KimM.
on 9/14/08 11:35 pm
The DS is a two-part procedure.  The first, which some refer to as a sleeve, is the reduction of the stomach size.  However, unlike the RNY, the pyloric valve remains intact and no pouch is created, leading to a blind stomach.  As a result, we can take NSAIDS and there's no dumping syndrome.

The second part of the procedure is the rerouting of the small intestine.  A much smaller portion (70-100cm if I'm not mistaken) leads to the large intestine.  The result is that most food is not absorbed.  It's this two-par approach that leads to long-term successful weight loss.

I urge you to look into it.  It's more complicated than the band, but it's also more effective overall.
PMSmama
on 9/15/08 12:28 am
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the explaination! i'm going to a Q & A on Wednesday night with Dr. Wizman. I will definitely inquire about the DS and report back my desision later in the week.

-Robin

Cruisinpat
on 9/18/08 11:43 am
Kim, I had the DS with Dr. Overcash 10 months ago and I can tell you from my experience that Dr. O did a fantastic job. I researched all of the weight-loss surgeries and decided that the DS was the best for me. Personally I think it's the best out there. Good luck on your surgery and if you have any specific questions about Dr. O you can send me a PM.
Pat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views