FL Insurance

hunny_0731
on 8/19/08 1:33 am - Boca Raton, FL
Can anyone tell me what insurance covers gastric bypass surgery?  My employer is looking for one that includes this in there plan but, even blue cross blue shield of FL doesnt.... they say none of them do anymore... PLEASE HELP!!
Redhaired
on 8/19/08 2:55 am - Mouseville, FL
Why not call a surgeon in your area and talk to the insurance person? 

Michael Eak
on 8/19/08 6:48 am - Largo, FL
Have your boss call United Health Care, Humana and Aetna to name a few.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Katie_C
on 8/19/08 11:10 am - Land O Lakes, FL
Most of the time the INS carrier needs to add the coverage to the policy, and the company you work for can add that coverage to the policy.  I have BCBS and it is covered, but I am on a federal plan.
hunny_0731
on 8/19/08 11:32 am - Boca Raton, FL
Federal plan?? like you work for the government.... i've been on the phone with a BCBS underwriter and the only answer i get is NO insurance companies cover this to any extent... ughhh this is soo annoying.... the thing is that i can get my employer to get ANY insurance i would need... but, i dont know who covers it!~
robin M.
on 8/19/08 11:56 am - Dublin, GA
I am on BCBS Federal Plan and they cover it.  I understand that if the company you work for has a plan, then they can work with the company to determine coverages. 

Best way to find out is to do as someone else mentioned, call the surgeon's insurance person and see what they say.  I would suggest you call the surgeon's office that you are thinking of using.  That way you will be able to ensure that you are using a preferred provider.

Highest Weight: 220   1st Appt Weight: 205   Surgery Weight: 192   Post Surgery : 201  Current Weight:  136       Dr Goal Weight:  140     My Goal Weight:  125
Katie_C
on 8/19/08 12:18 pm - Land O Lakes, FL
My husband is a government employee.

also keep in mind that the person that you may be talking to is a customer service person.  The person that makes the insurance choices at your company would have to talk to the sales people at the insurance companies.  There is also an insurance forum on this site, and there are a lot of people that have BCBS of FL and many other companies that will cover WLS.
privatepath1
on 8/19/08 7:05 pm - NF City, FL
I work for the State of FL and have Avmed Open Access and it covers WLS.
Genblosum08
on 10/12/08 11:25 am - Fleming Island, FL
how long did it take for you to get approved with you plan?
hunny_0731
on 8/20/08 3:46 am - Boca Raton, FL
I guess from talking to all of you and BCBS of FL... that they will ONLY cover it if your a federal employee... which i DO NOT understand... my company is willing to pay for the insurance that covers the surgery and no matter who we speak to they tell us BCBS DOES NOT cover this surgery regardless of reason!  Anyone else have any other kind of insurance that covers it... it is MEDICALLY necessary!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views