Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Overcash....

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/08 12:53 am, edited 8/1/08 12:58 am - Orlando, FL
Did you **** him off?? lol.. just kidding...obviously not since he hugged you! At least he treated someone with respect and showed some caring. 

I just find it hard to believe that a physician, whom so many people seek for help, would treat people like that.  It's almost as if his thinking is, "screw them, they're at my mercy, I can treat them however they want since no one else will take them". You know what I mean? 

What's your overall opinion of him though as a surgeon, since we already know his bedside manner sucks?  Feel free to PM me if you wish.
babydog
on 8/1/08 8:08 am - St. Augustine, FL
The last time he yelled at me was when I went for a weigh in and he felt  I should have been down an additonal 8lbs.  He started the whole question thing about what I eat and so on and so
forth, and was yelling at me that I was grazing.  Well, I don't sit well with people treating me like that, so my response to him was.  DO YOU THINK IF I COULD EASILY CONTROL WHAT I PUT IN MY MOUTH THAT I WOULD HAVE EVER!!!!!!!!!!  WOUND UP IN YOUR OFFICE IN THE FIRST PLACE.   So than he told me what he expected me to loose by my next appointment. 

I didn't make that goal so I just kept rescheduling my appointments until I did, and than he was fine,  I don't think he realized that I actually took an extra 2 months to reach it.  Ever since than we get along well.

I must say though, that his surgical skills are fine,   I think his outburst are more an issue of personality type. He expects things to turn out a certain way and when it doesn't  his reaction is that angry frustration that your sister seen.  I chose him because he didn't make me jump through hoops for an appointment and he didn't try to charge me any additional fees like so many of the surgeons do.  He took what my insurance paid plus my co pay.  There were not charges for  additional "support".  Hope this helps your sister realize that she is NOT the only one.
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/08 10:16 am - Orlando, FL
Wow.. seems he did the same thing to her, meanwhile this was her very FIRST appointment with him! Mind you, her 10 year old daughter was with her at the time she met him.  My sister even introduced him to my niece, and he didn't even acknowledge her.  Imagine that!?! Talk about a first impression! Well I'm glad you turned out okay.  You're right though, he doesn't make people jump through hoops, but it still doesn't give him the right to displace his anger and frustrations out on people. I don't think I would have put up with it just for the sake of surgery. 

Thanks for your input!

robin M.
on 8/1/08 12:47 pm - Dublin, GA
I am a newbie...and not yet had my surgery.  A friend of mine had her revision by Dr. O and recommended him to me.  I drove from Middle Georgia to have a consult.  I was very surprised to get my appointment with him within a week.

I drove the 5+ hours to meet with him and was shocked when what I thought was the nurse came to call me back to be weighed and he introduced himself as Dr. O.  He wasn't into making chit-chat and was direct but I wasn't offended at all.  He answered all my questions and questioned me.  He asked what procedure I wanted and when I told him, he questioned me on why.  He didn't order any tests for me other than a stress test.  The reason was that I had told him that I had very recent tests done by my primary care dr and he was willing to use them.  The stress test was ordered because I've had a heart attack and hadn't had a stress test in several years ago.  I felt comfortable with what he ordered/didn't order and why.

Dr. O did tell me he didn't think insurance would approve me because I wasn't big enough.  My BMI is exactly 35 and I have several co-morbidities.  I went and spoke with his office staff and was told that they would call it in on the following work day and see what insurance had to stay.  I didn't hear back so I called and found out the insurance person was out.  It was a couple of days before she was able to call them.  The day after she called, I got a call saying insurance wanted some more verbal info and that the insurance company was going to give my info to the medical director for a decision, it could take a couple of week for a decision. The office staff staff called me back the same day and left a message saying they had called in my info and that I would have an answer within 2 working days.  A few hours later, she called me back with an approval.

I don't think anything could be so easy.  He was nice to me although not overly friendly, definitely not nasty or mean.  The staff was great.  Hopefully I won't run into any of the issues others have!
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/08 2:00 pm - Orlando, FL
Well I guess you were one of the lucky ones.  I don't mind if a doctor is not chit-chatty, but to be completely rude like I explained, that's not acceptable. My sis kept re-living it too so it flared up her gastritis and her pressure was high, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat either.  And she's not the sensitive type and even endured physical abuse by an ex husband and the way Dr. O treated her, well she couldn't deal with it. 

Well I wish you luck.  Let us know of your surgery date and what your progress is.
NeeNee1971
on 8/10/08 3:05 pm - FL
Alot of surgeons I have been told do not take other doctor's patients for legal issues. I guess if something goes wrong or if the new doc finds something the old one did in error.... you know what I mean? So sorry that she had such a horrid time with Overcash. I wish Jawad would take her. He is awesome. Did not even "reprimand" me for getting pregnant only 10 months out of surgery.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views