Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Overcash....

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 11:22 am, edited 7/29/08 11:26 am - Orlando, FL
My sister and I both had RNY (March and May 2005, respectively). Everything seemed to be going fine and a few months ago,  my sis started to put on a lot of weight - about 30 pounds since April of this year.  She does take several medications for hypertension, low blood sugars, anxiety, and some others for rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia.  I know some medications tend to make people gain weight, so that could be part of the reason.  In my opinion, she might not be eating enough protein and we all know it's critical to be able to maintain a healthy weight.  However, she tries to eat or drink protein and everything makes her sick.  Being three plus years out, this worries me.  I have no problem eating.  In fact I eat more than she does and I've maintained my weight (give or take 5 pounds at a given time), but nothing more than that.  I just get the normal dumping syndromes with too much sugar, fats, some milk products.

Well my sister met with Dr. Overcash yesterday (7/28) for possible revision surgery.  She called me after her appointment and all she could say, holding back her tears, was how rude, obnoxious, and nasty Dr. Overcash was to her!!  He gave her about 10 minutes of his time and all he did was reprimand and yell at her like she was a child.  He wouldn't even hear her concerns regarding a possible revision, wouldn't listen to her history, didn't discuss her hiatal hernia which was repaired at the time of her RNY, and she thought maybe she was having problems with it.  It doesn't seem he even bothered to review her records which were ordered from our surgeon in Massachusetts. 

My sister BARELY eats and I am puzzled as to why she has gained so much weight in such a short time.  He asked for an example of what she was eating and she tried, but he kept interrupting and yelling at her.  He told her she was eating too much protein when she mentioned she might have a 3 oz. can of tuna, or one chicken tenderloin.   Now that doesn't seem like alot to me.  I remember being told we had to get in at least 60 to 80 grams of protein.  He also told her that the only people that gain weight are those that over eat and those who suffer from congestive heart failure. 

I was so upset and shocked at what relayed to me and I was in tears all day because I could feel her pain.  I'm so confused too, especially after reading so many good things about him.  All I ever read on the boards is how great of a doctor he is, how personable he is, how he spends time to consult with new patients, that he is family oriented.  I've also heard that he can be "tough" but there's a difference between being tough and being a complete ass!!  Does he have an evil twin?  Why was he so mean to my sister? She is distraught, confused, has been crying, and feels like she's been hit by a train and just keeps re-living the few minutes she spent at his office.  My sister is not the sensitive type and not someone who will take someone's abuse, but his demeanor and actions just stunned her.

He didn't even address the pain she feels when she tries to eat, or the pain she experiences while she is sleeping.  It's not a gallbladder or appendix issue, as she has neither.  He didn't refer her for any labs, GI's, nothing!  All he did was put her on a strict diet which consists of just three, 3 oz meals a day - 2/3 cups of which should be nothing but protein.

She is supposed to go back to him in two weeks and I wonder for what?  If she sticks to his diet and loses a pound or two, does that mean he won't address any of her concerns anymore?

We live in Orlando and he's in Ocala. 
A two-hour drive doesn't seem worth it at this point if he's going to mistreat her like that and disregard any of her concerns.  Who knows if she even needs a revision, but maybe some WLS aftercare, which has been not been easy to find here, as none of the doctors we have called upon will even see a patient they didn't perform surgery on - for liability reasons! 

Sorry if this is long, but I need some answers as I'm very confused about Dr. Overcash and his so-called "excellence" status which so many write about and praise. 
Redhaired
on 7/29/08 1:47 pm - Mouseville, FL
Boy that is rough.  I am so sorry.  No one should be treated that way.  But tell your sister Florida now has one of the best revision surgeons in the world in Miami.  Dr. Gagner recently moved his practice from NYC to Miami.  This guy is world class.  She can send him an email and he will respond.  It may take a few days -- but he will answer.  I will PM you with the details.

Red

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 10:04 pm - Orlando, FL
Thanks so much!!
Michael Eak
on 7/29/08 5:02 pm - Largo, FL
We are all very sorry that some Doctors/Surgeons think they are a close 2nd to GOD.
Dr.Overcash has always been that way from what I've been told and his patient put up with it with praises.

Come to Saint Petersburg and talk with Dr. Ernest Rehnke, one of the first Surgeon's in Florida to receive the "Center of Excellence" Award. www.obesitynomorefl.com

He's very compassionate and will take as long as his patient needs at each visit. He does Revisions as he did my girlfriend's (1/26/07) as she had hers done in Boston ten years earlier. And I received the RNY, May 10th, 2006. With a Hiatel Hernia repair 5 days later. Now two and a half years later, I've gained weigh also. And I'm seeing him next week to discuss the options of a Revisional or placing a Realize/Lap Band on top of my RNY.  Which was the plan from my first daty as I had over 450 pounds to lose.

Occassionally he does have Weight Loss Seminars in Lakeland. But I can testify that he has patient's from all over Florida including more from out of the state of Florida, such as California.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 10:06 pm - Orlando, FL

Thanks so much Michael.   I will make sure to forward this information to her.  Thanks for taking your time to give me this info.  I wish you well.  Hey, by the way, our WLS were exactly a year apart! :)

Ed W.
on 7/29/08 7:34 pm - Casselberry, FL
Try Dr. Jawad in Ocala, from what I have heard and experienced, he wil treat you much better than Dr. Overcash.

Ed

HIghest Weight - 287 /Surgery Weight - 278  /Curent Weight - 150/Goal - 154 

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 10:07 pm - Orlando, FL
Hi Ed, thanks.  She tried Jawad as well and was told he wouldn't perform a revision on a patient with whom he didn't do the initial surgery :(.
Charlene W.
on 7/29/08 9:06 pm - Melbourne, FL
What about Dr. Marema at Celebration?  From what I understand he does many revisions.

Char
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 10:04 pm - Orlando, FL
She tried Dr. Marema, but most of the doctors who do revisions, will only do revisions on patients they initially performed surgery on.  That doesn't make sense to me.  That would be like me moving to any other state and not being able to find an OB/Gyn for routine care because I had a hysterectomy in Florida. 

Thanks though for your input.
Kristen H.
on 7/30/08 11:51 am - Orlando, FL
Dr Marema will do revisions on patients from other surgeons - always has.

??
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views