Tampa / Largo, FL bariatric surgeon and nut needed.

Zaudika
on 7/27/08 7:32 am - Gulf Breeze, FL
I introduced myself a little while ago, but am now very very close to my move to Florida.  (We're leaving August 28th).   I love my surgeon up here in Boston, MA and I like my nutrionist somewhat.  lol.

However, I need a good, highly recommended surgeon and nutritionist to followup with in Florida.   My Surgeon can help me with this, but I would rather hear experiences from those who have been treating with someone.  

Could I please ask for some help and recommendations?  It would be great if I could find one in St. Petes, Clearwater, or Largo .. but I'll travel a bit further if needed.      I'll also need to find a nutritionist, but a lot of surgeons work with one directly. 

I'd also love to find out if anyone has organized a support group in the Tampa / St Petes / Largo / Clearwater area.   I have a wonderful group up here in MA that get together about once a month and would love to meet some new people or help start a group (if one doesnt exist) in the area.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!   Take care ..

Weight at time of Surgery: 278.   Lowest Weight 178.   Current weight 187.0.  Goal: 160.

tmn9761
on 7/28/08 2:43 am - New Port Richey, FL

Hi!

I highly recommend Dr. Richard Gordon.  His office is in Largo, and I can tell you through my own personal experience, he and his partner, Dr. John Paul Gonzalvo are hands down THE BEST surgeons I have come across in my tri-county area (Pinellas, Pasco, Hillsborough).  And believe me, I looked hard!  I interviewed four other surgeons before deciding to entrust myself in Dr. Gordon's extremely competent hands!  You can't go wrong!  The staff is great, and Nadine, his nutritionist is top notch!  Give his office a call and see for yourself!  The number is 727-586-3751. 

Best of luck to you and welcome to Florida!

~ Terri

~ Terri - Come on and CRUISE TO LOSE with us!

Susan G.
on 7/28/08 4:30 am - Boynton Beach, FL
I too used Dr. Gordon and highly reccommend him

He also has a support group that meets at Morton Plant Hospital.  He will give you all the info and you will be put on a mailing list for the meetings.

Susan G.
Michael Eak
on 7/28/08 6:39 am - Largo, FL
Here's a SG Mtg in Largo & 2 in St.Petersburg

Usually the first Thursday each month but the next is July 31st.
Support Group - WLS  @ 6:30  PM 
Surgeon: Dr. Tiffany Jessee  Group Leader: Dr. Baum Location:
Anona United Methodist Church
Welsley Hall (side of church)
13233 Indian Rocks Rd.
Largo, FL

The third Saturday of each month, the next being August 16th.
Support Group - WLS  @ 2:30 PM
Surgeon: Dr. Ernest Rehnke  Group Leader: Dr. Lindsay Location:
Palms of Pasadena Hospital
Professional Bldg., Diagnostic Center
1609 Pasadena Ave.
St. Petersburg, FL

The last Wednesday of each month, the next being July 30th.
With a Special Guest Nutritionist Doctor & Zumba Instructor -  Dr. Katarzyna Ostrzenska
Support Group - WLS  @ 6:30 PM
Group Leader: Dr. Baum Location:
Palms of Pasadena Hospital
Professional Bldg., Boca Ciega Room
1609 Pasadena Ave.
St. Petersburg, FL

FREE OH Magizines at the Palms Support Group Meetings.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
tmn9761
on 7/28/08 8:38 am - New Port Richey, FL
tmn9761
on 7/28/08 8:40 am, edited 7/28/08 8:40 am - New Port Richey, FL
LOL I'm playing with the toggles I guess!  Anyway, I previously said, "Hi Mike!  How's it going? Long time no post - good to see you here!"

jumagi
on 7/29/08 2:08 am - Saint Petersburg, FL
I also recommend Dr Gonzalvo. What city are you moving to?
Michael Eak
on 7/29/08 5:10 am, edited 7/29/08 5:28 am - Largo, FL
Question:
Did Dr.Gonzalvo, Dr.Gordon or Dr.Small, ever get the "Center of Excellence
Award"? As it's still required by Medicare and affiliated Insurance companies
client's to use.

Zaudika, are you self paid, Insurance through work or a Medicare recipiant?

Terri, I've been here lurking as I've gotten so busy with my life other than WLS
such as  becoming an Associate Youth Minister & School Bus Driver for my church.
But also sliding  back into my profession in Law Enforcement as a Mobile Finger
Printing Technician and Executive Protection Agent.

I got to 420 from 740 and have now gained 50 pounds these past 6 months.
So NOW discussing placing the Realize Banding on top of my RNY Pouch.
Your looking good in your pics. How is Greg?
tmn9761
on 7/29/08 11:51 am - New Port Richey, FL

Well it sounds like you are getting back on track in a great way, Mike!  GOOD for you!  Glad to hear you're keeping so busy - I do remember you talking about working with the church and bus driving but the LE finger print tech and EPA is a new development...FANTASTIC! 

I don't know too much about the Realize band other than there is one standard size as opposed to multiple sizes of the more common lap band.  I do remember when I was researching having lap band and attended some of Dr. Rehnke's seminars it was mentioned that his practice was one of only a few who actually did work with "size appropriate" bands, and I found that to be encouraging - going for the "right fit" and all.  I sure hope this Realize Band will help you push your way to the finish line.  When we look at how far we have come, even a 50 pound setback doesn't mean failure - you're doing great, and you, my friend, are definitely a "fighter", and I have no doubt that you will reach goal!  LOL hopefully so will I!!  I STILL have another pesky 25 or so to go to reach "MY" goal before plastics but that's another story altogether.  Just glad you're back! 

Thanks so much for the compliment and encouragement!  It means a lot, especially now that I am well out of the "honeymoon" phase and REALLY have to work at it.  Greg is doing great BTW...much better - not sure if you saw him at his worst, right after chemo and radiation, but he was a mess...he weighed around 120 pounds (normal for him is about 180) and literally looked like death walking.  He has regained most of that weight, radiation scars on his neck have healed, and he never did lose his hair from the chemo.  He's back to working outside of Ruby Cruises in the "real" world - he's an IT .Net Systems Developer and he's doing contract work basically to "pay the bills"  - we took a REAL hard hit financially when he got so sick last year.  Aside from a few group projects (Cruise to Lose), our work in essence stopped, and now it's time to recoup losses!  But just like Greg, Ruby Cruises is stronger than ever, and all is well.  Thanks for asking!

Keep in touch - lots of us here are so inspired by you, and when we don't hear from you for awhile, we worry!! 

Take care, and I'll see ya' around!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views