Soon to be a new Floridian & need help.Just recently had RNY

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/08 3:38 am, edited 7/21/08 3:39 am - Effingham, IL
Hi everyone.I`m currently in Illinois & just had my RNY July 9th.My husband & I will be moving to Orlando sometime in October & I need to know a few things about the area.Any help would be greatly apreciated.my name is Kim & I am 42.My husband is a full time online college student at the Western Governors University & is going for Bachelor of Science,IT-- Networks & Design & Mgmt.I am disabled because of a NASTY bunch of back problems that have been EVER ongoing since 1991,among other things.Neither of us drives but my hubby will get his liscense once we get lined out down there if he doesn`t get them before we leave here.So we are hoping to get as close to places as we can get,like Stores,Doctors,Hospital,Jobs,-possibly around Disney World,I will get bariatric referrals from my surgeon here for Orlando.I have OH as a great support group  & I already found an actual place in Orlando for meetings in case I decide to go & have joined their online group via Yahoo Groups.

#1.Is there public transportation in Orlando? Other than cabs
My husband will need to get out & find work while he is taking his online college classes,& I will be needing to go to the local social security office as I am on SSI,the local DHS office to get medicaid untill my husband gets us on  our feet.

#2.Where would be the cheapest places to rent without renting from government housing(low income)? We want to be as close to the beach as possible but be able to afford rent.Our budget to start would allow up to $600.I would like a complex that has an excersize room,pool & other amenities.Possibly a furnished apt.but not absolutely neccesary.We have to have a ground floor apt as I can not do stairs.Even if you could give us some good links to rental sites that would  be helpful.

That`s about all I can think of that I need to know for now.
Thank you so much
KimberlyB

P.S. It is soooo good to FINALY be a loser, I am finally on the losers bench.I`ve been losing an average of 2 pounds a day since my surgery & I am GREAT!.And I can`t wait to move to Florida & stick my toes in the Florida ocean waters.My dream,to live "on the coast somewhere beautiful" with the Dolphins.I am crazy over them
Redhaired
on 7/21/08 4:34 am - Mouseville, FL
The closest beach is at least an hour away from Orlando.  I would suggest you get a map of the area and start plotting the places you will need to go.  The Orlando area is really spread out and public transportation is limited to the bus service.  There are no subways or anything like that.

If you are interested in the beach you might want to look at the West Coast of Florida or the Daytona Beach or Melbourne area.

Ed W.
on 7/21/08 4:45 am - Casselberry, FL
As the prior post said, the beach is about an hour away from Orlando. As for the bus, sugggest you stay close to major roads. Here is the web address for the bus service, you can use it to match prospective places to bus routes. http://www.golynx.com/

There are plenty of hospitals around, but only a couple of Bariatric Centers of Excellence and nither one is right in Orlando. One is in Kissimmee (South of Town Near Disney) and the other is in Ocala (about two hours north of town). There are other Bariatric Doctors in town as well, so best bet is to see who your surgeon recommends.

Ed

HIghest Weight - 287 /Surgery Weight - 278  /Curent Weight - 150/Goal - 154 

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/08 6:32 am - Effingham, IL
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/08 7:02 am - Effingham, IL
themema2
on 7/21/08 10:41 am - Jacksonville, FL
You will not find much to rent in the Orlando area for $600.  Everything is at least $900 and up and that is for a so so area.  You might want to look outside Orlando. 
I recomend Dr. Jawad for any RNY follow up, he is located in Ocala and is one of  the best in the State.
Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views