Looking 4 Melbourne Area Support Group

C-There
on 7/16/08 8:08 pm - Brevard County, FL
 I am 3 yrs. RNY PostOp, looking for a local support group in Melbourne, FL.  I appreciate input or local people wanting to get together to talk about issues.
Charlene W.
on 7/20/08 8:48 pm - Melbourne, FL
Bryan,
The Melbourne doctor who did RNY Gastic Bypass here no longers is in practice.  I do not know of any support group still in exisitance but would like to find out also.  Dr. Fusco with MIMA does the lap band and I am sure there is a support group related to that.  Along those same lines I would like to know how Dr. T's patients are doing now.  I am 5 years out and doing well.  But, I have heard lots of negative stuff.
Char
C-There
on 7/20/08 10:22 pm - Brevard County, FL

Nutrends, 1103 W. Hibiscus Blvd. Ste 308T
Melbourne, Florida
321-676-0255 

This is the info I found on Dr. Fusco's site.  But I have called this dietician listed and no one calls me back.  I have called 4 different dieticians listed in the yellow pages and no responses.  My PCP is sending me to the hospital for a mtg. w/dietician - I tried to explain that I need someone who is familiar with RNY.  I find that not a lot of Drs. understand the needs of the GB patient.  Wish me luck, I just want a response back! :) 

My Dr. is from out of state, and I moved here 3 years ago, so I have never found a local support group.
DebsGiz
on 7/25/08 2:35 pm - FL
I also live in Melbourne, well Palm Bay actually, and am in the process of qualifying for gastric bypass.  My insurance is TriCare, which Dr. Fusco with MIMA does not accept; consequently, I was referred to Dr. Jawad in Ocala by TriCare.  Because it's a 300 mile round trip from here to Ocala, it's apparent that I cannot attend the Ocala support group, so I called Dr. Fusco's office and asked if they had a support group I could attend.  I was told that I could join their group; however, the cost was well over $3,000.00. 

I was rather taken aback to say the least, primarily because I naively thought that the purpose of a support group was to gather like people together for the purpose of lending support and education to one another through a major life altering change, and not just another venue for Dr. Fusco to make a buck. 

One might think that Dr. Fusco would want his own patients exposed to a community of supporters rather than a select group...  

Anyhow, if anyone knows of a support group in this area other than the one sponsored by Dr. Fusco, I would be most grateful if you would hook me up. 

Also, until speaking personally with Dr. Jawad, I had planned to have lap-band; however, I have since opted for the gastric bypass as a result of some concerns that came to light with regard to the actual precentage of lap-bands that require a second surgery to correct a problem.

Gina Y.
on 8/2/08 2:12 pm, edited 8/2/08 2:14 pm - Palm Bay, FL
Hello, I saw your post and wanted to say Hi. I live in Palm Bay as well. I am going to using Dr Jawad as well. I am at the end of my 5th month of my 6month supervised diet. I went to Dr Fusco's seminar in April and wasn't really impressed. The cost of the "Program Fee" that wasn't covered under the insurance stopped me in my tracks. So I did my homework as to Dr's and Bariatric Center's of Excellence that my ins requires to pay 90% and chose Dr Jawad. I went to his seminar and was very impressed. I too, went with the mindset that I was going to have the lapband and after speaking to Dr Jawad, I left feeling certain that RNY was going to be choice. And the fact that his consultation fee is only $250 is alot better too.
I am glad to know that I only have to go to Orlando for follow up visits and not all the way to Ocala each time. I wish there was a support group here for others who need support after going through this process. I am sure I will have lots of questions and having someone else to talk to helps alot!I hope to speak to you again. Please keep me informed on your weight loss journey.

Thank you,
Gina
nicole W.
on 8/2/08 6:41 am - Bismarck, ND
I live in Melbourne Beach and would also love to find a support group. What I did in MN was we had bi-monthly coffee groups around town. That way we could discuss and support each other depending on what happened in the previous few weeks. We could discuss things and concerns that came up and see what others input was. If it was something we couldn't handle, we would recommend calling the nutritionist or dr. It was great for everyone no matter what stage they were at. We also did "fun" events every few months where we would go bowling or dancing, etc. If anyone is intersted in something like this or knows of something like this, please let me know. I just moved here last week and am interested in meeting fellow WLS people.
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
C-There
on 8/2/08 10:31 am - Brevard County, FL
 If you need to know where anything is, don't hesitate to email me.  Maybe we can meet somewhere for coffee beachside?   I work out my home, and hubby works in Afghan. so I am out and about quite a bit.  Welcome to FL and hope to meet up with you soon.  C
C-There
on 8/2/08 11:21 pm - Brevard County, FL
FOR THOSE OF YOU READING OLD POSTS >>>>  NEW INFO/DATES: 

I have been trying to start a Support Group Mtg. for Brevard County.  In order for this to work, people need to respond to this post, give input - not just view the post and say they can't make it.  Here are some dates and times I have in mind, which ever gets the most input, is the date and time we go with.  If we have interest in 2 locations, we can go with that too.  Please email me DIRECTLY from my profile page with your contact info so I can contact you with the results and keep you current with info.  

CHOICES:  

1.  Wed., August 20th, 1:00 p.m., at Java Hut Coffee House, Melbourne Beach(A1A and 192);

2.  Wed., August 20th, 6:00 p.m., at Viera Starbucks, northside of Wyckham Rd (west of I-95);

3.  Sat., August 23rd, 1:00 p.m., at Viera Starbucks, northside of Wyckham Rd (west of I-95).
dinkybeth
on 8/3/08 1:08 am

Hello all. I live in Palm Bay & would like to attend the meetings. I have'nt had my surgery yet. I'm on my third doctor. I started with Dr Perry in Vero Beach, but they wanted $6700.00 up front even though my insurance covers the surgery. Then I attended Dr Fusco's seminar & again $3700.00 up front & not covered by insurance. Finally I found Dr Vaughan in Jupiter & am very pleased with him. He takes my insurance with no money down, plus he's only 90 miles away. Keep your fingers crossed everything goes well. Once again I would really like to attend any meetings. 

DebsGiz
on 8/11/08 11:15 am - FL
Hi dinkybeth,

I plan on attending this get together:   Wed., August 20th, 6:00 p.m., at Viera Starbucks, northside of Wyckham Rd (west of I-95). Come and let's get together!  My name is Debbie.  I will be the tall, fluffy, redhead with the big purse. We'll be looking for another red-head with a green purse.  Really hope to meet you there!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views